1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey folks....First and foremost...THIS IS A GREAT SITE>>>>>

But I need help now....

The bike starts and runs just fine.....maybe 10 min into the ride...or idle,,,,,it just dies...cranks over fine..all lights working...but no spark and no fuel pump activation.....then..just as quick as it happened...it starts and runs...maybe hours...maybe 10 min...and does it again....no spark and no pump....

PLEASEEEEEEE HELP MEEEEEEE>>>>>>

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

its sounds very much like the pulse generaters are faulty, do a search for pulse generaters in the search box

welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Sure sounds like electrical..I'd pull a schematic and look for a spot the that the coils/spark wiring and pump have in common..I am a 1100 guy so 1200's are not my thing.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I had the pulse generators go on my 86 1200I...when it died and I cranked it, it would spin fine and backfire like crazy, but it would not start. Let it cool down and it would run like a chanp.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Check the ground wire from the battery where it bolts to ground. It may be corroded????????????:?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok so we have been throwing parts at this wonderful machine...But still no luck...So i am up for any more suggestion...

Replaced...Ignition Switch....CDI's....dogbone fuse mod.....

Again...the bike runs great....then just dies, all lights still work, but no fire to plugs or fuel pump.....no cool down period really needed...just hit the button and usually the second crank it will start right up...may run 6 hrs...may run 6 min...but it will do it again.....hit the start button...spinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....then it will start again and off we go.....

Thanks for your suggestions and help

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

do a touch and feel on the all connections around the battery, they should not be hot at all. It any feel hot, then that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the advice....I have been pretty intimate with this bike lately...Hell I have had my hands in places they shouldnt be at all..lol....

I think i am gonna throw some more parts at it...Seems from some other posts on this forum a gentleman had similiar issues and replaced the Pulse Generator....Looks like the last place i am gonna try now.....

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i think youve hit the nail on the head drifter,, the pulse genterators, mine did that one and i was in another country, the bike just died on me, after a few minutes it started right back up, one bike backfire and started, did it again about half hour later, another big backfire and started up, i managed to get back to blighty and get home, changed the pg's and its been right eversince

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.