1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

Just bought my first wing.

Well actually rescued it from a life in a partially walled shed for the past 8 years.

Pekin, Il here

Hello again.

You can click thumbnails and see full size restoration process.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Minnesota.
Got my first wing (87 Aspencade) a couple months ago.
Still learning how to handle a big bike.
Great forum to help you restore the ride.....

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

[align=left]Hellolucky_x16 and welcome from Arizona.

[/align]

[align=left] "Why buy'm if you don't ride'm"[/align]

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I restored a 90 Kawasiki Vulcan last year, this bike is a bit akward, but pushing it around the garage during restoration this winter, is going miles in getting used to its increased mass.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, from N.W. Missouri!

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from the State of Confusion......Kansas! :waving:

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

:waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Albert, is that picture on the covered bridge run?

My 1990 750 vulcan broke down on that last year.

Lower carb jet clogged.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

It moved under it's own power!
After getting it running, long enough to get the oil changed, I pulled and rebuilt the carbs.
In doing that I discovered two of the intake bolts stripped and set in place. I drilled out the bolt holes and made two home made heli-coils. Drilled and tabbed existing holes to 10mmx1.25mm and retapped intakes back to stock 8mmx1.0mm.

With carbs cleaned and rebuilt, installed, said prayer for my newly fabricated heli-coils, which lined up perfectly by the way, and fired up this beautiful machine.
It ran rough for a few minutes. I guess that was the 10w30 and WD-40 still in the exhaust, because she smoked like a drunken sailor. I moved the beast to the driveway and let her run at about 1500 rpm, with throttle lock on for about an hour to clean the exhaust and get warm enough to check thermostat and thermal fan switch.
Thermostat appears to be opening correctly (no overheating) and fan kicked on several times at about the same place on the dash's digital display.

Having noticed that the clutch appeared to be stuck when I was pushing the bike around, I dedided to work it a few times with fresh clean oil and a hot engine to see it it would break free. Woo Hoo, felt the ever so slight bump when it did. That said, I tested it with the bike on centerstand still running in driveway, and foot firmly planted on rear brake pedal. It worked effortlessly.

That said, there is nothing like a road test. So there I am wearing a flanal shirt and sweat jacket sitting on a "NAKED" GL1200 Aspencade, no trunk, no trunk rack, no seat, no saddlebags, no tail lights or turnsignals, only enough of the fairing installed so I can see the digital display so as to be able to observe the oil pressure light and temp, and I hit the road, sitting on a rag that was covering the gas level sending unit. I have one working parking light in the front fairing, and it is 14 degrees outside.

Best ride of my life. Two times around the block, and everything on the digital display checks out. I had been slightly concerned about that.

Now I get to tear her down again, and do timing belts, flush cooling system, and when I am done with that will do front fork seals and dust covers.

I have been working on clean up of the rest of the cycle while waiting on parts, so when that is done, I will begin reassembly.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Please redo the pics and just insert a link to a slide show of the pics. I don't want to have to click each one to view it.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site it sounds like a good find. This 1200 is sure glad you found her. The mufflers look to be in good shape too. Have fun and enfoy the site.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Tried editing for slide show however it has been over 99hrs since original posting.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.