Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1986 aspencade that has not been riden much the last couple of years but started and run at least once per month. Recently put it on the road,runs rough.I have run two tank fulls of premium gas with carb cleaner through it now.Seems to be a bit better but is still runing rough at idle. Acceleration has cleaned up quite a bit from a stop up through the gears. Out on the freeway still is not running up to parr, will build up speed on acceleration but not as it should, rough and not as responsive as it should be. MPG is also down at approx. 30.5 mpg Put a new fuel filter on a couple of days ago and air filter is also good. I just last weekend turned 19000 miles on this bike. Tonight I pulled and changed all of the sparkplugs. The old ones on the right side,as you are sitting on the bike, look like they are running far too rich especially the plug toward the back of the bike. the plugs on the left side of the bike look a bit better/not as rich. Started the bike tonight after changing the plugs and looking at the exhaust/smoke it does in fact look like the right side is running richer than the left side is.Smoke from both sides but moore from the right side. Carb adjustment or tear down and clean? Hard to find someonewho will work on it around these parts.If any and all who might offer some help/suggestions i would certainly appreciate it. Thanks,:bow: Tim
brittr6 "at" aol.com

edited to block spammers/robots

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Premium gas does not burn as well as 85-87 octane and our Goldwings are built to use the lower octane fuel.

Using premium alone will tend to cause the plugs to look a bit rich.

But, I think you will find better results by using Sea Foam instead of the regular carb cleaners. Make it pretty stiff for several tanks until it smooths out again.

Carb cleaners can damage the rubber parts and the diaphragms so be cautious with those.

I have run SF at the rate of a full can to only 2 gallons of gas purposely to get a strong ratio. Ride the bike around a bit to stir it up. The just leave it to sit and soak for a day or two.

I have also let the bike idle as slow as it will with that strong mixture for an extended time. Up to 30 minutes to pull the SF into the idle circuits. Then leave it to soak a couple of days. Does wonders. Saved me from pulling the carbs off on two different GL1500s. My old '94 and the present '98.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Oh, forgot to welcome you to the forum. Normally our newbies stop by the New Members forum and introduce themselves there.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thank you VERY much for your reply and help. I have run one can of SF thru, approx. 3/4 of a can to approx. 5 gallon tank.After that I ran some other carb cleaner thru,don't remember what brand it was?No idle time with it but run HARD out on the freeway 78 to 85 mph. I had been wondering about running a tankful just putting around at slow speeds in the city, that is if I could stand to do it!! My natural instinct is to twist the grip and hang on to blow it out LOL! Would this take care of the slow circuit side of carbs or need to just sit and idle like you said? About three years ago I decided to start the bike and to my astonishment realized that 10 years had past since I had ridden it!! Well, it had different ideas about starting! At that time it only had around 17,000 miles on it. Problem was, none of the Honda dealerships would work on a bike of this age. I finally got the name of a guy from one dealer who would work on it(shade tree mechanic). This is a whole other story , but he did get it running,not 100 percent but pretty good. He had to take the carbs off and "cook them out"ect... A friend kept and rode the bike pretty often for about a year,then I brought it back to my garage where itwas not rode very often at all. Mostly just go out and start it to run for a while about every month. Seemed tobe running worse all the time soI decided that I had better get it out and ride it while it WOULD still run. I shure hope it clears up as I think the love of riding has come back to me. Any help/thoughts you can offerI appreciate. Ribbing I can take and deserve LOL!!! Tim

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Forgot to tell you, SWEET LOOKING BIKE!!! Thanks again, Tim

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

you have to let sit idle to get the idle jets, TWO different jets, Idle jet and high speed jet.. you get the high speed jets by driving....

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey Wayne! Thanks for the reply and info.Will the slow/idle jets/circuit also affect the running at high speed??? One dealership up in Searcy Arkansas, I live in LittleRock, agreed to work on it but the mechanic said the first thing he usually does on a bike this old is to pull the carbs to do a total rebuild. Warned me REPEATEDLY that the bill would be a MINIMUM of $1000 and UP!!! I don't even have workshop manual for this bike but may have to try to find one somewhere! Anyone who has info or who would offer suggestions, Jump Right In !!! Thanks to all. Tim

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. While the Wing is sitting and the Sea Foam is working it's way into/around the carbs, you'll have time to search the tech posts for more hints on 1200 carb issues.

For low-speed and general drivability troubles the first step is usually some type of carb cleaner and new filters,check forloose or cracked/dry-rotted vacuum lines.

Sooted/fouled plugs,and low milagepoint to excess fuel getting to the carbs. You may have to check for sticking floats or worn needles/seats for the float shut off.

You mentioned that the carbs had been "cooked out",did the fellow use a carb bath or hot water. Some of the automotive carb cleaners/baths don't fare well with stock Honda carb seals. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find. Lots of good info/people here to help... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Shooter for the info and reply. Any tips on where I could find a good shop manual for the 86 Goldwing ???

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

PS I presume that the fellow used a carb bath to cook them but am not shure of that???

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Elvis1 you can download one here http://myweb.midco.net/gl1100singlecarburetor/ServiceManual.html

Also although my bike is a 1100, when I got it, It had sat for more then a year. It ran like crap.. Kept doing the seafoam small dosage after couple big dosages. It did clear up after week or so of riding, IDle was my main prob to. What im trying to say is I have never removed my carbs.. but of everyone situation is different. hope the manual helps you.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for the manual, I'm sure it will be a big help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.