Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went to look at an 86 Aspencade today. It is very basic, no cb, no intercom, no extra chrome it is just the way it came off the dealers floor. It has a radio, compressor, throttle lock and that isall that I can think of. Runs well, no scratches that I could see. Statorwire need to be hard wiredimmediately, one yellow wire starting to bubble. Some minor rust on the chrome on the side bags and trunk (should polish out). Very low windshield. Needs rear tire , front is new. Mileage is 21,000. Color is dark metallic blue with light blue trim. Does anyone have an idea of what this bike is worth. He wants $4500.00. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Randy
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Went to look at an 86 Aspencade today. It is very basic, no cb, no intercom, no extra chrome it is just the way it came off the dealers floor. It has a radio, compressor, throttle lock and that isall that I can think of. Runs well, no scratches that I could see. Statorwire need to be hard wiredimmediately, one yellow wire starting to bubble. Some minor rust on the chrome on the side bags and trunk (should polish out). Very low windshield. Needs rear tire , front is new. Mileage is 21,000. Color is dark metallic blue with light blue trim. Does anyone have an idea of what this bike is worth. He wants $4500.00. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Randy
In my part of the world it would be in the $3000-3400 range. I don't know why an Aspencade wouldn't have an intercom, should have a cruise control too and not need a throttle lock. Take a look at similar age and condition Wings on eBay to get a good handle on prices.

In my estimation, you're going to want to replace the windshield, possibly timing belts unless they've been done in the past couple years. Take a look at the brake pads, the brakes might need work. With a new-to-me bike I'd want to change oil and filter too. All that shouldn't cost more than $150-200 with a little judicious shopping online. The plus on this bike is the mileage, the minus is the rather top end price, for that kind of money an 86 ought to be cherry with the CB and everything working like new.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Exavid, that was my thoughts also. Can't understand how this could be a Aspencade with those things missing and I thought he was rather high on the price. Thanks for the reply, I have pretty much decided to pass on this one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
imported post

Hockeydad33

I agree that price is on the high side. I bought my 1984 Aspencade for $2900 I know its two years older andhas 52,000 miles but it came with everything and run really well. Did you try http://www.thebuyersexpress.com ? theres always one or two goldwings on there when I've looked. And of course theres always Ebay thats where I bought mine. Good Luck.



Jerry
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Exavid, that was my thoughts also. Can't understand how this could be a Aspencade with those things missing and I thought he was rather high on the price. Thanks for the reply, I have pretty much decided to pass on this one.
The GWRRA for sale forum often has some decent bikes at fair prices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
503 Posts
imported post

As far as I know, the 86 Aspy didnt come with cruise control. I bought one off the showroom floor and it had no cruise. Only the 87 had it. By the way, thats a steal of a price in my neck of the woods.



Speedbird
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Speedbird wrote:
As far as I know, the 86 Aspy didnt come with cruise control. I bought one off the showroom floor and it had no cruise. Only the 87 had it. By the way, thats a steal of a price in my neck of the woods.
Speedbird
Sorry, my mis-assumption. I had a 1986 SEI, the 85LTD and 86SEI did have cruise, I didn't realize the Aspencade didn't. It's still a high price in most of the US.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
imported post

Randy, I think he wants way too much. I bought my '85 Aspy in April, when it's more of a seller's market. It had 95, 000 miles, CB, intercom, add on electronic cruse control, 2 set of floorboards for driver and passenger, lots of extra chrome pices, cloth seat with matching colors, new tires, loud horns and gunked up carbs all for $3,200.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the replys. I am going to keep looking and continue to ride the 84 Aspy. I just got a wild hair up my_ _ _ _ and decided to look for another bike. Maybe I will hold out for a 1500. So far the wife has been real understanding and has humored me along for awhile. She just wants a pretty ride, she doesn't care for the 84's color (metallic beige with a mahogony colored trim). Maybe I should just repaint the 84?(It really doesn't need it, it looks real good.) How hard is it to get all the badging off and the main faring? That might be the less expensive way to go. She could then pick out the color. I trust her taste in colors for bikes, she is pretty good. Something to think about.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Notknocking the earliermodels, but I think the 1500 is worth considering. I like the simplicity of two carbs and LOVE the reverse. I find it more comfortable with a passenger. Really like the more convenient panniers, the clamshell lids are much handier than the lift off lids, and you can't lose one. The one lock locking all three is rather nice too.

I spent the last four days working at the Puyallup fair helping to set up the potter and weaver's hall and was surprised at the tools I could carry in my bike. A 10' bike air hose, jumper cables, bike toolkit, owner's manual, 24" level and a Sawzallwill fit in one pannier, my Makita battery drill in it's rather large case fit in the trunk along with 50' of electric cord, tool belt, and four diet Pepsis. The other pannier held a toolbox and my rain gear.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
imported post

Bought my 85 Aspy, with CB, Intercom, Factory AMFM Cassette, all perfectly functional, 117k miles with new stator, for $1,900 at the end of May. Hard wired the stator and rectifier myself right after I bought it. Paint's a little rough, but it runs like a champ and the chrome is good. I'll get it painted in the next month or so. It'll look great when I'mdone and I'll be into it for about $2,500 total, which to me seems like a pretty good deal.

:DTDS
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
How hard is it to get all the badging off and the main faring? That might be the less expensive way to go. She could then pick out the color. I trust her taste in colors for bikes, she is pretty good. Something to think about.
All the badging is held on with double sided tape, mine pried off with a small flat screwdriver fairly easily. If that fails the old bodymans trick is super fine wire wrapp both ends around a couple pieces of dowel and slide it in behind using a sawing motion to cut the tap. Then you scrape the tape residue off both sides. On the emblems clean the backs well with wax and grease remover, do not use gun wash or solvent as it will damage the plastic and slops WILL damage the paint on the emblems. Installation is easy, buy the proper tape from a bodyshop supply store, I used 2-3 strips of 1/2 inch wide tape on mine, cut em to rough length, apply to emblem, trim excess, then remove backing and reapply. I think I installed all of mine in a couple hours. Generally on an older bike the tape is dried out and they come of very easily :clapper:

Wildcat
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
imported post

Book say's it's worth $2750 to $3000 retail , that's the high! depending on the options it has?:baffled:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,409 Posts
imported post

Hey Randy,

I think that is a bit over priced.. If I was you, I would keep the one you have and look for a good 15... If you did buy it you are not really gaining much other than a bike you may have to go through everything you did with your bike all over again :waving:
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,840 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
Hey Randy,

I think that is a bit over priced.. If I was you, I would keep the one you have and look for a good 15... If you did buy it you are not really gaining much other than a bike you may have to go through everything you did with your bike all over again :waving:
Pssst, hey Digger, Randy's post was 3 years ago. This thread was just dug out of the archives by als4life. ;)

John
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top