Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I need a little help,my 86 Aspy with 135k on it will just quit on me when I,m riding there is no hesitation or missing or loss of any other electrical components.

Most times it will fire right back once I pull over and stop,sometimes if I'm lucky I can get it restarted while coasting to a stop

I have rewired the start solenoid and mian fuse and am sure its not from that area

Would appreciate any insight you might have into this problem

Thanks Dave

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

mine did that a couple of years ago. It would start back up after cooling for about 10 minutes. If you tried to start it before that, it would backfire like crazy. The issue was the pulse generators had failed due to heat. When they cooled, they worked fine. When it died, there was no warning, just like you turned off the key.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thats what I suspected ,when you say pulse generators I am assuming there are two of them and one is failing would this cause complete failure ?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

There are two sensors mounted in the timing belt housing in the front of the engine that tell the spark unit when to fire. I don't know if one failing will make the bike die or not, but there is a ton of info on here about how they overheat and stop working. When they cool they work fine. I was able to reproduce my failure by idling the bike and placing two 500 watt work lights in front of the timing belt cover. Idled it until it died. No restart immediately. Let it cool for 10 minutes and it worked fine.
The fix is not hard, but you have to take off alot of tupperware and drain the radiator. Unbolt the bottom of the radiator and slide it forward to get access. The pulse generators are part #18 here
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1986&fveh=3444

$73.00

good luck,

Joe

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

Another place to look is the big plug above the starter solenoid. They canget hot and melt. When mine went it just made the bike stumble and re-set all the radio/clock settings. But I could see where it may shut the ignition down longer and cause what youare experiencing.

I'd look there before I pulled the radiator and belt cover off.

It may also be the ignition switch itself. I've seen them go south, especially if people use big key rings with lots of keys on them.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

machz54 wrote:
I need a little help,my 86 Aspy with 135k on it will just quit on me when I,m riding there is no hesitation or missing or loss of any other electrical components.

Most times it will fire right back once I pull over and stop,sometimes if I'm lucky I can get it restarted while coasting to a stop

I have rewired the start solenoid and mian fuse and am sure its not from that area

Would appreciate any insight you might have into this problem

Thanks Dave
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

already rewired the start solenoid and yes the plug was fried but that was before I started having problems but thanks anyway

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

machz54 wrote:
already rewired the start solenoid and yes the plug was fried but that was before I started having problems but thanks anyway
How about the ignition switch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.