Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a GL-1200 and pull a trailer. I am mobility challenged and require a power chair when we get to where we are going. I weigh 330, my bride 150, my power chair 230 and my home made box trailer about 230. So as you see we are not a light combination. The trailer tows great, wind does not affect it, the GL has plenty of power but I feel I can use a touch more braking even though it has not been a problem so far.

Any suggestions on how to increase brake power?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Trailer brakes? :?I don't know how to wire up the controller or how to do the brakes on the trailer, but that's the only thing I could think of, without going to a trike anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Are you running out of pedal, that is, does your pedal go to maximum travel? How about the front brake lever, does it run out of travel? If either is the case then some stainless steel brake lines might help you out. The rubber flex lines get soft and stretch like a balloon when you apply heavy braking.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Yep, trailer brakes would be the answer but you are probably going to spend $250 to $300 if you can find them to fit your axle and wheels. Usually the best way to go is a complete axle with brakes.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Ditto on getting Stainless Steel Lines... That's typically the First item I replace on any used bike I get.

Am unfamiliar with the 1200's, however if you have trouble finding an aftermarket set, I know a local shop that will make you a custom set (using the original your provide as a template)

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Better brakes on the bike would be great and you can get the stainless lines from a forum member here:http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum6/65982.html
But with a heavy trailer like that pushing you better brakes on the bike might get you in trouble too.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dave430, considering that the bike is pretty well maxed out to it's gross the weight of the trailer and its contents are a bit too much for the bike brakes. Even if you could improve the bike brakes I doubt they'd help much because you'd still have the matter of the tire adhesion limit.

A set of trailer brakes would be the way to go. Electric brakes might be require a different axle because you'd need somewhat larger wheels to accomodate the magnet arm that runs inside the drum. It might be worth considering surge brakes, they work well if you can find some that will fit the trailer. I'd agree it would be easiest to try to get an axle that already has brakes on it. Two possibilities come to mind, one would be to buy a used boat trailer that has brakes and take the axle and surge masteroff it. It shouldn't be very expensive to have the axle shortened for your trailer. Parts for electric and hydraulic surge brakes are easy to come by. One disadvantage of electric brakes is that you'd have to mount a battery on the trailer in case of breakaway. Mounting a controller for the brakes would be easy with the newer designs available now. They are compact and can pretty well be mounted anywhere, like the trunk or saddle bag or even in one of the fairing cubbies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.