Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 86 interstate with 106,000 km and it left us stranded again. A month ago, it would not restart at a gas station and it backfired moments before arriving. No lights.... dead. 30 Amp fuse was blown so I replaced and removed driving lights and it has been fine ever since. Today we were an hour into a ride, when I stopped for a left turn and it died again. 30 amp fuse was blown. I replaced and we were on our way. A half hour later bike started to sputter and backfire and died. The dash lites were lit so I knew it wasnt the fuse but it wouldnt turn over and wouldnt bump start. After sitting for a half hour, we did bump start it and drove about 10 km's and it died again. Bateery seemed dead, but we left it again for a half hour and battery seems to recover enough to allow bump starts. Again we went about 5 kms and it died. We finally tralered it home. Is it the stator ?????
John.. Help

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

John Chambers wrote:
I have an 86 interstate with 106,000 km and it left us stranded again. A month ago, it would not restart at a gas station and it backfired moments before arriving. No lights.... dead. 30 Amp fuse was blown so I replaced and removed driving lights and it has been fine ever since. Today we were an hour into a ride, when I stopped for a left turn and it died again. 30 amp fuse was blown. I replaced and we were on our way. A half hour later bike started to sputter and backfire and died. The dash lites were lit so I knew it wasnt the fuse but it wouldnt turn over and wouldnt bump start. After sitting for a half hour, we did bump start it and drove about 10 km's and it died again. Bateery seemed dead, but we left it again for a half hour and battery seems to recover enough to allow bump starts. Again we went about 5 kms and it died. We finally tralered it home. Is it the stator ?????
John, there is no way of knowing if your stator is bad without doing some tests.. With that 30 amp fuse blowing it sort of points to another problem (like a short somewhere)..

You could have a bad battery, short in one of the circuits, or another problem..

It probably wouldn't hurt to start with a basic stator test to begin with...

---To do that---

You will need a small DVOM voltmeter, a digital is best but an analog will work if you are good with it..

The connectors for the stator tests can be accessed form the battery area by pulling the L/H battery cover off..

The battery doesn't have to be fully charged but should be good enough to start the engine a few times..

Once the battery area cover is removed you will find three yellow wires running just in front of the battery, if still original there will be a 3 wire plug in those 3 yellow wires,, if the wires have been hard connected there will be some sort of tape or solder joint in the 3 yellow wires..

You will need to either disconnect the 3 wire plastic plug, or use side cutters & cut the three yellow wires. You can cut them all at once as their re-connection order doesn't matter. That connector MUST BE disconnected (or the yellow wires cut) or you won't be able to do a good meaningful test & get accurate readings. You will need to be sure the terminals in the connector are clean, (or the wires are cut back to clean wire) to get solid usable test data..

The 3 yellow wires coming out of the rear of the engine need to be lettered or numbered (either 1,2,3, or A,B,C) so you can tell them apart during the testing.

To run the test get your voltmeter set on the 100 volt AC (Alternating Current) scale & the probes hooked up & where you can access them easily.

Start the engine & warm it up a little,, then run the engine at 3000-4000 RPM's. With the engine running at close to 4000 RPM's place the voltmeter probes across the 3 yellow wires making sure you test all the combinations (A to B,, B to C,, C to A.. If your stator is in good shape you should show 50+ volts A/C across all the legs (A to B,, B to C,, C to A.. The voltage should be fairly close to the same on all 3 legs also.

If you have good voltage your stator is probably good to go yet.

If you have an ohmmeter function on your voltmeter you can also do a basic resistance test..

Start by placing your meter on the X1 scale or X10 scale analog (or the ohm or K scale on a modern meter).. When taking the readings be sure what scale you are reading in as even a good stator will show a slight resistance to ground on the M scale or even the higher end of the K scale.

Measure from each of the yellow wires to a good CLEAN ground, you should show close to infinite (open) with no short to ground in any of the yellow wires coming form the engine side. Don't use your fingers to hold the bare probe ends to the wires or that alone will show resistance.

Then measure between yellow wires A to B,, B to C,,& C to A,, the resistance should be between 1 to3 ohms (depending on the stator temperature & amount of oil soaked into the windings) on any of the legs & close to the same on all 3 legs..

If you have the production plug in the 3 yellow wires you really should cut the plug out and use splice clips then solder the three yellow wires to the front 3 yellow wires then cover each wire individually with heat shrink tubing..

If your stator tests out good & you can't find an obvious short in the system, pull your battrey & have it load tested,, it's possible you have a bad battery..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Twisty,

After putting this info on the website last night, I went back out and checked some things. This bike has had some fixes in the past by previous owner and myself. The harness at the 30 amp fuse was done with a kit from Honda last year and I checked for diaelectric grease at the yellow harness at the stator connector earlier this year so I assumed !!!!!... that harness was OK. Anyway I checked the yellow harness last night and the top wires were yellow and greasy, the bottom half plug after removing some electrical tape contained powered rubber and faint traces of wire. Only one wire is connected, the other two are vapor. I'll have to cut back the harness and find good stuff and rewire. I guess i"ve been running on my battery all season.

Thanks for the help,your help isfantastic. I had the shop manual but it went missing a few weeks ago. I am waiting for another to arrive at the store. I'm not sure at this point which wire goes with which, I'll do a search.

John

John

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

John Chambers wrote:
Twisty,

After putting this info on the website last night, I went back out and checked some things. This bike has had some fixes in the past by previous owner and myself. The harness at the 30 amp fuse was done with a kit from Honda last year and I checked for diaelectric grease at the yellow harness at the stator connector earlier this year so I assumed !!!!!... that harness was OK. Anyway I checked the yellow harness last night and the top wires were yellow and greasy, the bottom half plug after removing some electrical tape contained powered rubber and faint traces of wire. Only one wire is connected, the other two are vapor. I'll have to cut back the harness and find good stuff and rewire. I guess i"ve been running on my battery all season.

Thanks for the help,your help isfantastic. I had the shop manual but it went missing a few weeks ago. I am waiting for another to arrive at the store. I'm not sure at this point which wire goes with which, I'll do a search.

John

John
John, that 3 yellow connector is a big failure area on the early Wings.. It doesn't really matter what rear yellow goes to what front yellow wire as long as the are not touching each other electrically & are well isolated from each other.. The stator is a 3 phase affair that is isolated from the chassis ground so what rear wire (from rear of engine) going to what front wire (coming back from the regulator) doesn't matter as long as each wire coming from the rear of the engine ends up at the regulator separately.

Twisty

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

A couple of other hints John. When replacing the yellow wires, use a good grade minimum 12 gage automotive wire, solder and double cover with heat shrink tubing. Also check the regulator where the 3 yellow wires enter it, it can get fried too. Some suggest by passing the connector at this point too and hard wiring it to the regulator. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
A couple of other hints John. When replacing the yellow wires, use a good grade minimum 12 gage automotive wire, solder and double cover with heat shrink tubing. Also check the regulator where the 3 yellow wires enter it, it can get fried too. Some suggest by passing the connector at this point too and hard wiring it to the regulator. Good luck
Chuck, why 12 ga. wire? 14 gauge will carry 25 amps at 25' on a 12 volt circuit. With a 36 amp generator that is only 12 amps per leg so even 14 gauge is plenty heavy. 12 gauge is harder to work with, harder to get a decent splice as it is harder to solder to the original smaller pig tails.

Twisty

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Your right Twisty, I am a slave to overbuilding, it's a disease I can't seem to to find a cure for. I am hoping to find a 12 step program to help me with it, but so far no luck.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

:(:baffled:Well i had a 86 interstate with only 81000 milesit was doing the same thing, yours is doing. After putting $1000.00 into it ran for awhile then stated all over again,count your loses and get rid of it, i did and bought a new one 2005 and love it

:18blue: BOB

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I'ma lot like you Goldwinger. I overbuild everything.. Things just seem to last longer for me that way.. The 12g wire may be a little heavy, but in my mind the worry is over on how long it will last or if there will be any other problems cropping up..

My 1200 is almost like new and gives me great joy in riding.. I can't afford to spring for a new Wing right now, so it's in my best interest to keep this Aspy looking sharp.. Then, when I finally do sell it, my consciense (spelling) is clear that I'm not screwing someone with a hidden defect or problem. Any machine will age and cost money to keep up..It's the nature of the mechanical beast..

I've been in overbuild therapy now for about 58 years... My therapist says there's really no cure. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the tips guys, they worked, great site and nice to be able to talk to other people about bikes.
I worked for Xerox for 22 years and all Fuser assemblies ( heater that melts toner into paper) had plug harness and connectors. Some models had to have kits to replace these harnesses perodically as they were constantly plugged and unplugged and pins arced and broke down. I didnt think of this myself although I didnt realize stator generated that much heat and current.
We have three cats and for the past week at least 2 have been out in the garage watching and pawing at the bike. While tearing down, repairing and washing last Saturday, I found 2 little mousies hiding under or nearby the bike. The cats knew something and were trying to tell me..I think they were without the mother and were trying to find a home up in the fairing. I think they both went for a 100 mile ride too.
( One had bugs in his teeth.... ha ha )

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

LOL... so basically the image of   a Bunny with a pancake on its head.. is to be replaced with........... wee baby mousies with bugs in their teeth ?????/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif                                                             Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie, O, what panic's in thy breastie!          Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!       It's silly wa's the win's are strewin! .............The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men    Gang aft agley!!! a good metaphor for Tuning up a Goldwing /forums/images/emoticons/dude.gif... Irish SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.