Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just recently purchased my first Goldwing and I love it. Back into biking after about 25 years absence.

The problem I'm having is thatit runs very raggedin low speed situations such as 35 mph speed zones. It doesn't want to accellerate smoothly either. IfI really get on it it does just fine and once I'm up to speed it runsgreat.

I love to run the back roads and it's a pain in the butt.

I don't really know the history of the bike other than it's in great shape and only has 54k miles on it. The previous owner had just done a tune-up and had put after- market mufflers and pipes on it.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The aftermarket muffs might be the problem, but you should probably fit new plugs andget the carbs balanced first before anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

BRowan has you pointed in the right direction.. First things first.. Replace the fuel filter, inspect the air filter and all hose connections for wear, cracks, leaks and deteriation. Inspect the spark plugs for condition and correct gap.. If the pilot screw seals have been removed, re-set the screwsand move on to balancing the carbs. These arethe least expensive, most important things to do first. If all the above is on the money, and the problem still persists, move on toinspection of the timimg belts, ignition coils and ignition system. I suspect sediment in the fuel bowlswhich may require a carb pull if things are dirty inside them.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the information. I'll check out the sparkplugs right away and the condition of the hose's. I'll see if I can find out the name of the mufflers. But, I don't know if I want to screw around with the carb's. Fraid I'll really mess them up. One wouldn't be so bad but four?

33zip

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board, on here you will find many people will come up with the right ideas for fixing anything on a wing.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Renegade is right, you need to check this stuff out, running rough low down suggests 2 things to me.

Plug fouling because of incorrect grade plug [could be why the problem clears up at faster speed]
You should have NGK DPR8EA-9 plugs in your 1200
If the budget stretches try Iridium plugs NGK DPR8EIX-9
http://www.ngk.com/results_appOther.asp?otherMotiveID=29681&mfid=1

or

pilot jet adjustment. [running OK on main jets running rough on pilot jets]
Have the blanking plugs been removed from the pilot jets? Ride the bike at slow speeds stop and pull the plugs see if they are running rich or lean at low revs.

There is a product called Colourtune by a company called Gunson. Allows you to see the colour of the combustion as the bike runs, helpful if you want to diagnose too rich/too lean problems.

Try draining the float bowls onto a clean white cloth [I know where on earth will you find one of those....:D]undo the fixed screw on base of carbs see if any **** comes out - put the ciggy out first though....:shock:
Balance the Carbs yourself its easy really check out http://www.carbtune.com.:clapper:

BB

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

What kind of RPM's are we talking about in the 35 MPH zones? Don't forget the GL100-1200 isn't happy until it gets to 2500 RPM and above. It hates to be lugged down.

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 1200 fuel injected versions do pull well at low rpms. At 35mph in top gear I can snap the throttle full open and the bike pulls up to speed smoothly, of course it's slower than going through the gears, but it will power up smoothly with no stumbles or vibration. I was really surprised when I first started riding this bike, the power band is much wider than anything I've ridden in the past. I think the guys working on putting fuel injection on the 4 cylinder wings are heading in the right direction, really makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well, here's what I've found so far.

Pulled one of the sparkplugs and it looks to be in good condition. The gap is set at .034 in. Also it's the NGK DPR 8EA-9 plug.

Pulled the air cleaner element. What a filthy mess. There was no charcoal element like described in the owner's manual. Just a paper type element. The element takes up the whole space so am asuming that it's an after market and did away with the charcoal element. I dread to think about what the insides of the carb's must look like.

Have not had time to open up the engine compartment to check vacuum hose's but that's on the list of to do's.

Everybody (motorcycle) is closed on Sunday and Monday around here so will have to wait until tomorrow for the new air cleaner.

I don't recall what the rpm's were when it would run ragged but don't believe the engine was lugging.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.