Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just got hold of an '86 GL1200 and the antennas are puzzling me... Both antenna 'whips' are missing and I'd like to replace them, using one for an FM radio (which is also missing, but I'm not worried about sourcing a replacement radio) and using the other to simply hold a flag :)

The antenna bases have the familiar conical shape, and look to be the entirely standard factory items, they also have coaxial cables coming out the bottom and the antenna 'fold down' feature. BUT - the stainless steel rods or 'whips' themselves are missing :(

I've measured and tried several small screwdrivers to try and figure out the diameter of the rod required - and approximately it appears to be a 3.5mm diameter rod that's needed.

I've looked, but even if I were to find such an antenna whip, I can't see how it's finally held tightly in place, as there's no set screw facility and no collet I can see to grip the whip once the antennas are up and vertical.

I'd rather not replace the whole conical base if at all possible - so I'm confused how the whip is designed to be held securely in place if anyone can help please???

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
One was for radio,one for CB if yours had one,I think Ron Ayers still have them,I got the cb one from them a few years back,left is cb,right is radio.
I looked but they dont have them,looks like there are some on eBay.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
It has been a while since I owned a 1200 so my memory may not be 100% on this. I had an 85 GL1200 Limited Edition and it just had one antenna. It served as a FM antenna as well as for the CB radio. It had some kind of splitter in line with the lead in and one side went to the FM and the other to the CB. I don't think the 1200s left the factory with 2 antennas like the 1500 did. If I remember right, to tilt the antenna over, you unscrewed a collar on the bottom and it lifted up then you could fold the antenna over. On the 1500, they changed it so you don't unscrew the collar, you just lift up a spring loaded collar and then you can fold it over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys and thanks for the swift replies... yep I can confirm there are mounts on both sides of the bike one for CB antenna and one for FM radio, and the mech assembly is designed so that you can loosen off the top collar, and can then finally fold down the antennas... (I ain't got the stainless steel whips themselves though :( and even if I did I can't see how they would be held firmly in position in the small top holes.

On a positive note though I've found these on eBay...

That may be the only way to get something fitted :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Think bellboy is correct,it came with one antenna,my 85 LTD did nor have a cb,only one antenna.
Apperently I was wrong,here’s a picture of my 85 and 75,85 has two antennas but both have the center load for cb,but the other white bike is my pals 86 and it only has one,maybe I put the second on,been 45 years so I don’t recall,

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi guys and thanks for the swift replies... yep I can confirm there are mounts on both sides of the bike one for CB antenna and one for FM radio, and the mech assembly is designed so that you can loosen off the top collar, and can then finally fold down the antennas... (I ain't got the stainless steel whips themselves though :( and even if I did I can't see how they would be held firmly in position in the small top holes.

On a positive note though I've found these on eBay...

That may be the only way to get something fitted :)
Well the pic I took isn't great but there is a yellow arrow pointing at what appears as a rod through the hole, might be a set screw but can't see that side. Maybe it will help.

Antenna A.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, and yes I've got that 'pivot pin' as well on my mech, I don't think it's a set screw, think it's just an interference 'push in' pin in manufacture. I'm going to take some closeup pics today and post them here to try and illustrate the small hole where the stainless steel antenna whip would normally go :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've unscrewed the conical base mechs off the holding arms, so they are easier to photograph, here are the pics... There is a small hole at the top of the base where the whip would have been somehow inserted. It's difficult to see, but there is no thread cut inside these small top holes, or any set grub screw, so the whips must just have been pushed in as an 'interference fit' somehow in manufacture. No idea why the whips have been pulled out sometime in the past years by a previous owner!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I guess you'll need to press the pin out so as to see more of the connector system. The way it works I presume the knurled part slides down off of the pinned part, because it won't go up but a small ways. I've always wondered what it might look like in there. Maybe the whips were broken off? I thought the swivel point was the end of the whip?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess you'll need to press the pin out so as to see more of the connector system. The way it works I presume the knurled part slides down off of the pinned part, because it won't go up but a small ways. I've always wondered what it might look like in there. Maybe the whips were broken off? I thought the swivel point was the end of the whip?
Yep it's all very curious. I'll hold off dismantling it at the moment. But when I get time, I'll measure the depth available down in the small hole, where the whip should push in, and just now I'm thinking I'll source any 3mm diameter stainless steel antenna whip and push it in with an epoxy glue adhesive after first making sure the whip is actually conducting, and making contact to the coaxial connector tip at the other end :)

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
My '85 Aspencade had no CB, had Panasonic Type III commercial radio only, one antenna with center load only, it was OEM ...
… I used a "CB splitter" to add Cobra 40 ch compact CB via "integrator" I built, the splitter had adjustment for tuning. On rides, it was always the one that seemed to pick up other groups before anyone else in group with me, we often met other groups on the road it seemed. I do recall seeing twin antennas on 1200s, but while the antenna looked the same, the mount differed in appearance, looked like aftermarket.

The yellow ball was a Styrofoam GWWRA smiley that was on the bike until I removed it at sale.

Maybe the picture will help to "scale" replacements by printing, using trunk as a base reference, etc.?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My '85 Aspencade had no CB, had Panasonic Type III commercial radio only, one antenna with center load only, it was OEM ...
… I used a "CB splitter" to add Cobra 40 ch compact CB via "integrator" I built, the splitter had adjustment for tuning. On rides, it was always the one that seemed to pick up other groups before anyone else in group with me, we often met other groups on the road it seemed. I do recall seeing twin antennas on 1200s, but while the antenna looked the same, the mount differed in appearance, looked like aftermarket.

The yellow ball was a Styrofoam GWWRA smiley that was on the bike until I removed it at sale.

Maybe the picture will help to "scale" replacements by printing, using trunk as a base reference, etc.?

View attachment 321858
Yep that's a great pic :) and good to see length of a stock antenna. With my stock '86 Interstate I agree it never came with a Radio or CB out of the factory. Over the years and in the past a radio must have been retro fitted - but no CB rig. Now there is just a gap below the console where a radio can be fitted back in. There has never been a CB fitted, so why someone has fitted 2X antenna holders is a mystery.

But no worries, all I'd like to do is wire up and fit an FM radio, which is straightforward, since all the cabling has already been done by someone in the past and 2X speakers and already fitted as well. The other antenna can take a flag :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all, I've just got hold of an '86 GL1200 and the antennas are puzzling me... Both antenna 'whips' are missing and I'd like to replace them, using one for an FM radio (which is also missing, but I'm not worried about sourcing a replacement radio) and using the other to simply hold a flag :)

The antenna bases have the familiar conical shape, and look to be the entirely standard factory items, they also have coaxial cables coming out the bottom and the antenna 'fold down' feature. BUT - the stainless steel rods or 'whips' themselves are missing :(

I've measured and tried several small screwdrivers to try and figure out the diameter of the rod required - and approximately it appears to be a 3.5mm diameter rod that's needed.

I've looked, but even if I were to find such an antenna whip, I can't see how it's finally held tightly in place, as there's no set screw facility and no collet I can see to grip the whip once the antennas are up and vertical.

I'd rather not replace the whole conical base if at all possible - so I'm confused how the whip is designed to be held securely in place if anyone can help please???
Saber Cycle sells the entire antenna for about $25.00 if I remember correctly. I bought one for my 1983 Aspencade. Works well for the radio, not so well for the CB. On the other hand, my CB might be the problem. That said, if you purchase one, I'd use "Blue Locktite) on the set screws for the top portion of the "Whip", as mine were continually backing out.

As for a flag? Not something I'd put on the antenna, but that's just me. I put a 18" Flag Pole from China, sold on E-Bay for about $15.00 (Flag Included). What we had was a "Chinese American Flag on a Japanese American Made Motorcycle, ridden by a Old, Overweight, Balding, Ex Marine, School Bus Driver" Strange combination all around if you ask me. You need to load up on the flags though. I've tried 3 different mfgs. and each flag only lasts about 500 miles before it gets Old, Battle Worn, and not very Patriotic to display! :(

Good Luck! Alan Miller

·
Premium Member
6 Posts

I own a 1986 Aspencade and the factory antenna is the one on bikes right side it is for radio and cb radio if you get original Honda.The antenna has a load or a wire wound coil 3/4 ways up and a adjustable stainless steel tip about 2 foot long .You loosen the set screw on top side of the load coil and move tip up or down or cut or grind off this wire tip to adjust swr reading on antenna for CB use. The coax cable in bike has a Aerial antenna male end that plugs into radio.This setup is also used on factory CB radio.To use a SWR meter for antenna adjustment. you ned to purchase two coax cables that have a Aerial antenna male on one end to plug into radio and a PL-259 coax connection at other end to screw onto the SWR meter, And the other cable from meter to the CB radio.About stainless steel Antenna not sure how installed into mount. but I think the rod shaft has a fine thread that screws into the base.I dont really want to take mine apart.But I think you could look down the bore of the base to look for tapped threads or take a small hard wire bent at a small 90 degree end and insert into the base hole to feel for the threads. Guitar or piano wire works nice

1 - 20 of 39 Posts