Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a 86 GL 1200 Aspencade on ebay.The bike runs great but it didn't have a stereo.It had one at one point in time and it looked likesome wires were cut on the harness on the left side of the handle bars.The speakers look like they were about 4" looking at the empty speaker holes. Would it be possible to install a am fm/cd player and if so can someone give me a clue on what I would need to make this happen.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

I have an '86 Aspencade and they came stock with an AM/FM cassette player. Can't help you with the exact wiring locations but there's a lot of great members here that have complete diagrams and other very useful drawings. Here's a picture of how your Aspy should of looked without modifications. You'll notice the extra screw on each plastic speaker grill because they were a bit warped and the screws hold them down nicely.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I have wondered the same thing. My 87 has the stock AM/FM Cassette as YAK..I went a step further and use a cassette adapter to connect my MP3 player thru the original system. My son has an 86 that has never had the radio. I could see no reason why any automotive AM/FM/CD player could not be installed. I installed a marine (boat) AM/FM/CD on my 81 in the left saddlebag..It has a wired remote that actually attached to the left handlebar with velcro. They are readily had on ebay @ $150.00.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, can be done, and yeah, they're basic 4" speakers, you'd probably have to make your own harness if yours has been butchered that bad, here's two different ways it can look when you're done (at least two different way's mine looked, just wait til I have a go for the third time :cheeky1:).

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

The framework for the OEM radio gets in the way of installing an actual DIN unit. Especially one with a CD.Some members here have used a Pyle SDunit that is very short so it's easier to fit.

I didn't want a CD player because they are old tech, and I still had to cut a lot of stuff out of mygauge mount structure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

My first GW was an 87 Interstate that I bought new. At that time there were installations kit specifically for the goldwing interstate for radios. I do not remember who made it or if they are even available now. Even came with a hinged rain cover.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

I installed my CD/radio unit in my '84 Interstate, originally having no bracket to work with (my understanding that Interstates came with no audio at all, just a cover where one would go), so needed to buy a complete (non working) unit and cut the (rear of) bracket to allow correct fitment of a "standard" CD/radio unit. I imagine you already have that bracket (cradle?) to use in your Aspy?, to use. Bike...and Dennis install is very cool looking (dam'n good looking actually!), 'tho if you DO want a CD player, it will sit a little further forward of the instrument panel mainly to allow for the size of the CD drive assembly itself. This is what mine looks like......also installed 4 x 4" Sony speakers (only 'cos I'm as Sony fan) and very happy with the finished result, not too hard to remove if necessary also.(Voltmeter to the right of it)
Good luck......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i just put new radios in both my 1200,s. found them on ebay for about $50.00 each. they have a mp3 port, usb port and a port for a sd card. no cd or cassette. i loaded about 45 cds off my computer so i have about 500 songs. the standard radio is about 7 in deep making it difficult to hook up the plugs on the back. these are only about 4 1/2 in deep which gives more clearance. no more storing cds or cassettes and you can charge your cell phone or camera battery. so far i have been happy with them. regards walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i just put new radios in both my 1200,s. found them on ebay for about $50.00 each. they have a mp3 port, usb port and a port for a sd card. no cd or cassette. i loaded about 45 cds off my computer so i have about 500 songs. the standard radio is about 7 in deep making it difficult to hook up the plugs on the back. these are only about 4 1/2 in deep which gives more clearance. no more storing cds or cassettes and you can charge your cell phone or camera battery. so far i have been happy with them. regards walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

I too like the Dual unit! I'm also interested in upgrading my audio as I currently use a cassette adapter but it puts out too much static.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Walkabout... I notice on your Aspy picture that you have a captured spider behind the instrument cluster plastic window. I had one too when I bought my Wing and removed him when I had to remove a lot of stuff to get to the running lights for replacement. Must be a cozy place for them. LOL

·
Premium Member
123 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My '85 LTD came with a non functional AM/FM/cassette that was designed to be unlocked and removed. It slid in and out on tracks, and the connections all plugged into the back of it when you slid it in. I did not want a stereo, I gave the unit I had to someone on one of the GW forums, and fabricated a block off plate to cover the opening. The problem was, the flange around where the original stereo was is VERY narrow and flimsy, and there is not much to fasten a plate too. To install a DIN sized car stereo, you would need to fabricate an adapter plate, as it is smaller than the stock stereo, and it looks like it would be a problem finding a way to securely attach it to the dash.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

these radios are the same thickness and width as a standard after market radio, they are shorter in length. they are very light weight. there are very few moving parts, just the knobs. the two i installed are not fastened to the bike, they are just pushed though the plastic face and ride on a sheet of plastic layed flat under the radio. a piece of foam or carpet would give a bit of cushion and stop vibration. about the spider, i think it may have starved to death. its been in there for a while, lol regards walkabout :smiler:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.