Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She suddenly started to rev high at idle....can anyone tell me how to adjust the idle with fuel injection...

also I want to convert to a bobber...what is the best way to figure out which wiring harnesses are non essential? it seems a little daunting ... Thanks for your help

·
Registered
709 Posts
The idle screw is in the middle of the air chamber at the back. Do not adjust the one behind the right side CFI cover.

You need all the wiring for the bike to operate correctly and to have the use of the travel computer and dash. The ECU, travel computer and dash are an integral unit that once you start to modify, you will lose functionality. Have only read one thread where a similar bike was converted to dual carbs and had a complete make over, but the fellow that did it went to the frame and did a complete rebuild.

If you want a 1200 bobber, better to buy a carb model and go from there. Lots of work otherwise.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
If you really must have fi,you can probably use a microsquirt unit to control it

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
If you really must have fi,you can probably use a microsquirt unit to control it

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
there is a long thread on this forum where a guy used a MicroSquirt on a GL1500.
he never was satisfied with the way it ran "overall".
it would run great on the highway, but Drivablity at moderate speeds was never good per his posts.

this is the Conversion Thread:

I am pretty sure, that it would be a lot of trouble for the 1200 also, it is not a simple project.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Looked at a lot of threads on the various forums regarding changing to FI, there are some success stories, but there are lots of projects that never come to fruition. Has to be a labour of love so to speak, better to find a bike that is closer to what you want to do.

I've been doing research into an ECU replacement for the '85 Limited Edition FI. I have settled on the Speeduino project that uses an Arduino unit. Lots of info on this as well as the Microsquirt, but as you have mentioned, not for the faint of heart, some have made this work, but there is a lot of work to be done to achieve the aim. Mine is a long term project because I have a good ECU and a backup. There is no information available regarding an ECU replacement for the '85/'86 Gold Wing FI models. Have the Speeduino board and Arduino unit but still need some additional parts to put together a mockup and make sure it works. Be great to have something that was plug and play.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
She suddenly started to rev high at idle....can anyone tell me how to adjust the idle with fuel injection...

also I want to convert to a bobber...what is the best way to figure out which wiring harnesses are non essential? it seems a little daunting ... Thanks for your help
What exactly do you mean by "suddenly started to rev high at idle"?.

How much higher are you talking about?.

A slight adjustment is easily made.

While a high jump in idle would be a different matter to diagnose to find the reason "Why"

As for making the Inj bike a Bobber.
You'd be better off converting a 84 Standard. (The last of the Standards)

·
Premium Member
369 Posts

I had the same issue with mine a long time back. It would be ok, then start to rev up for no apparent reason. A little unnerving at a traffic light! LOL Turns out it was the vacuum lines. Looks like a snakes nest under the false tank. Some you can replace with stuff off a spool. There's a few that I had to order as they have some tricky bends in them. It's held a perfect idle ever since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts