Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a perplexing problem getting my goldwing running. I have 12.5 volts at the coils. Coils are good and read 3.2 ohms each.

I've eliminated the kill switch as the issue.

What else could it be. Haven't replaced the plugs yet. My mechanic has own 5 goldwings (he sold me this one) and he can't figure it out either.

Where is the pulse generator on the bike? If i have juice coming into the coils and the coils are good. What else could it be?

THanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
239 Posts
First off I am guessing you did not take this to your mechanic because the word "mechanic" would mean he would know where the pulsars are.
They are behind the timing belt cover mounted around the crank pulley.
unless you had come unplugged or broke both wires, I find it hard to believe both pulsars would go bad.
This leads to bad words, you may have lost the ecm

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
what model 86 is this? interstates-aspy's and sei are two different problems

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
The 86 PGs are behind the timing cover like someone else stated, but their connection is either on the leftside under your gastank cover or just to the left of your battery, It's a 4 wire plug and you can trace it from the front of the timing cover, around the coilpack and then either to the leftside of the fake cover or to the left of the battery.

By the way, the PGs usually fail intermittently at first, you would have a stalled bike when warm refusing to restart until cooled down.

After checking the PulseGenerators, perhaps your IC Ignitor took a dump? It's an easy 5 minute troubleshoot if you have the fake gastank cover off-sounds like you do. Just swap one from a known running bike-borrow a friend's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all.
It is an interstate @neoracer.
@deanbw, if it is the ecm, is there a procedure to verify this?

@iraqi Sam, funny you should mention that. Last fall it started misbehaving and would lose power at 70 mph at random and I would pull to the shoulder. Wait a couple minutes and then it would fire back up.

Then this spring the starter failed after starting it up a couple times and so I replaced that. Now it's this electrical issue. Is there a way to verify that the cables to the plugs work with a multimeter? Or there's no point because it's the ecm?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
i would buy and replace the pg's now,even if it isn't they will probably go bad in the future and who knows when and if they will become obsolete from honda,seems that alot of stuff lately is going that way i.e. driven flanges

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Thank you all.
@iraqi Sam, funny you should mention that. Last fall it started misbehaving and would lose power at 70 mph at random and I would pull to the shoulder. Wait a couple minutes and then it would fire back up....
With that tidbit of info, that sounds like PGs going bad. Check them at the plug I mentioned, before you go any further.

·
Administrator
22,281 Posts
This is from the Honda manual. PG on yours should be on the front of the engine and the plug is left side under the coils. The book is very unclear about the PGs and I've even read that their numbers are incorrect. But this is the best I can contribute.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.