Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my wing for a few years, very comfortable highway bike. Hoping to get some good advice on how to keep it running good for several years. Didn't get to ride the wing this last summer, trying to solve a high idle speed problem. Idle speed is around 3200 rpm, I've had the air box off looking for vacuum leaks, tested air temp sensor, water temp sensor, air valve. Throttle butterflies open and close properly. So far nothing seems to make any change, I've looked through old post threads and haven't been able to find anything to lead me to the solution. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
59,687 Posts
Hallo Wingrider2012ak

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What codes are you talking about, where and how would I read these codes. Is there a tool for reading them or will they flash out on a test light? Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dennis is asking if there any error codes on the ECU. I would suggest a cylinder bank balance. You balance the left and right cylinder bank. You cannot balance the individual cylinders on each side, 1/3 and 2/4, because of the FI. If you have adjusted the idle or tried to, hopefully you used the idle adjustment screw that is at the rear of the air chamber where the left/right throttle linkages join. If you have adjusted the cylinder bank adjustment screw that is behind the CFI cover on the right side of the bike to adjust the idle, you have inadvertently put the left/right cylinder bank out of balance. This will also affect the engine idle.

There is a procedure in the supplement that details the cylinder bank adjustment.

Hope this helps.

As an aside, heading up to your neck of the woods this summer, doing the Alaska highway and intend to stop in Hyder.

Cheers

·
Administrator
21,949 Posts
What codes are you talking about, where and how would I read these codes. Is there a tool for reading them or will they flash out on a test light? Thanks

There may/should be codes on your computer. I take it you don't have a manual. Personally I wouldn't air up the tires on a fuellie without one. Let me see if I can find a source.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't adjusted any idle speed screws, from my experience on fuel injected trucks the computer controls everything. So I've been looking for issues that would cause the computer to increase the rpms. I've read there are supposed to be some LED codes on a computer under the trunk, I'll try and get those.

·
Administrator
24,654 Posts
There is the auxiliary air valve that supplies extra air for cold idle, possible it could be stuck open. It would not show as a trouble code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the window to see LED codes on the computer under the travel trunk, no lights back there. I've tried pinching off the hose from the air valve down on the right side of the engine, when pinched off the rpms will decrease from 3200 to 2800, while it is a decrease its not near enough.

·
Administrator
24,654 Posts
These are not sophisticated enough to have automatic idle control. Try adjusting the throttle stop screw, not the synch screw. The throttle stop is above and behind the synch screw which is on the right side throttle shaft. The throttles may also need to be synchronized but try the stop screw first.

·
Registered
625 Posts
These are not sophisticated enough to have automatic idle control. Try adjusting the throttle stop screw, not the synch screw. The throttle stop is above and behind the synch screw which is on the right side throttle shaft. The throttles may also need to be synchronized but try the stop screw first.
There are three adjustments on the throttle linkage. The idle adjustment screw is in the middle of the throttle linkage where the left and right throttle linkages join, middle at the rear of the engine. the cylinder bank sync screw is behind the CFI cover on the right side of the engine - if you adjust this screw without having vacuum gauges connected you will throw the cylinder bank balance out, and will have to use vacuum gauges to bring the cylinder banks back into balance. The third adjustment is behind the left CFI cover. It is a small screw that when the engine TPS is calibrated, it is to be backed off and tightened with a locking nut so that the throttle linkage is not impacted.

I have my air chamber out because I had to fix the air filter box securing arrangement and I replaced some IAC and vacuum hoses.

The first picture is of the idle adjustment screw in the middle of the throttle linkages. You can see how the throttle linkages are connected and the idle adjustment screw. The screw pushes against a stationary, non adjustable stop.

The second picture of the cylinder balance screw that you find behind the right side CFI cover, on the right side of the air chamber, shows the cylinder balance screw pushing against the right side throttle linkage. Behind the throttle linkage is a spring pushing against the throttle linkage opposing the force of the screw. There is no other adjustment. This screw is only adjusted when you do a cylinder balance.

The third picture is of the TPS calibrating screw. When not calibrating the TPS the screw is as I mentioned backed off and locked in place with a lock nut. You can see the space between the screw and throttle linkage.

The fourth picture is off the throttle linkage as attached.

Another item to check is the throttle cables. I was having trouble getting the throttle to return to idle without having to manually assist. What was happening was the cable had cut into the internal sheathing and was binding - after 32 years can be expected.

Check cable adjustment and routing as well. The routing of the throttle cables can cause the engine idle to increase if it is not routed properly.

For the IAC system, this is my thread on the Classic forum with pictures of the IAC internals. Replaced the IAC valve for a different reason, didn't fix it but I now have a new IAC valve installed. Here is the thread: https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13380&p=206808&hilit=idle+air+control+valve#p206808

Hope this helps. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes rednaxs60 got me a very thorough manual. Thanks for the detailed information on the throttle adjustments and air valve info. I'll work on those adjustments over the next couple evenings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help, the engine speed is under control. Not knowing where to look to see the lights on the computer I took the trunk off and pulled the computer out. Ever since unplugging and plugging back in the computer the idle speed dropped from 3200rpm to 2000. Still high but when I pinched the hose feeding out of the air valve idle speed dropped below 1000rpm. I ordered an air valve off eBay and installed it the other day and it works great. So I had a bad connection at the computer and a bad air valve. Now that it runs correctly I just need winter to be over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts