Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a rear shock leaking, hit the Salvage yards only to end up with another rear shocks that leaks… although at a slower rate.

Is there someone out there that can rebuild/repair this shock?

Aftermarket shocks seem to have air hookups that would not allow me to tie into the factory air pump, something I really want to be able to do.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Replacing the seal is not a difficult job, messy maybe, but not rocket science.

You have a 25 year old bike, there are few mechanics that will work on these older bikes, if you want to keep it running I suggest you acquire a workshop manual.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
1200 shocks

as tricky said the seals can easily be replaced on the 1200's,but the problem is the springs after 25 years are usually shot by that time,which if not replaced makes minimal improvement with just the seal replacement

completely rebuilding the 1200 shocks is easily done if you follow this tutorial by "Gambler" http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/273788-shock-rebuild-gl1200.html

have both one set of progressive 416's on one mc and one set OEM rebuilds on another and actually find that i like the oem's better,oem rebuild is about 50% cheaper than the progressives,but does require a little bit of wrench turning

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a book on this bike, and it's been pretty helpful.

Also saw and printed out Gambler's steps to rebuild the shocks.

I just moved to a new home, and here I don't have a shop (yet) that I can set up in and take the time to rebuild the shocks, and enjoy the time working with it.

But since I've wasted so much money (so far) trying to do this with EBay and Junk yard shocks, I may as well set up on my front porch and get it done.

I did find some 416s and an adapter kit (for the lines), just wanting to not lose any more money, and still save time.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
One thing you need to do before trying to rebuild the stock shocks is to make sure the lower part has no damage, like rust, pitting, dents, even a deep enough scratch will prevent them from sealing. Mine were so badly rusted I had to toss them, and decided to go the Progressive route rather than look for better stock shocks, since the on board air compressor system was also totally shot.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Here's another little bit of info on them. The 1200 rear shocks can also be found on the 1200 Kawasaki Voyager. The shock air lines are just longer, because their fill lines reached up into the fairing.

Found that out working on the ex's Voyager.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've getting very close to the simplicity of ordering the Progressive 416s with the 30-5082 kit (to connect them to my air compressor, as I understand it).

I've lost enough time and money on this issue, I need to just move on to other issues like the leaking fuel pump, tires, etc....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.