Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the speed sensors are repairable on the GL1200s. Or does anyone have a good working one for sale from an 85 or 86? I've got an '86 Aspencade that stopped registering on the speedometer and the self cancelling turn signals wouldn't cancel. I took one off an '84 that I'm redoing to verify the problem. Everything works now, but it registers the wrong speed. I did a quick search and found that they used three different ones on the GL1200s. 1984 was by itself, '85 and '86 use the same one, and '87 use a different one. So no "One size fits all". Naturally they are discontinued from Honda, and those that have them think they are made of gold. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The one on my '85 LTD failed almost 2 years ago (at least I think it was the sensor, could be in the digital dash, which has other problems as well) So I had no way to check it. I did find a new one, but they wanted $150 for it. No way. I had a cheap but perfectly good GPS that I had mounted on a quad I used to have, so I attached it to the fairing for a speedometer/odometer. As for the turn signals, I completely rewired those, so they are now just normal manual signals, which is what I like best.

As far as I know, they are not repairable. A cable driven speedometer would have been nice, you can replace the whole thing for $30, and it is easy enough to tell whether it is broken.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
before you go and buy a new or used sensor you should check that its not the gear in the wheel hub that's gone bad,alot cheaper and easier to find,plus int-aspy they are the same,
now if you really found a sensor on a goldwing that did register the correct speed it would be worth the $150 for it,if they are only off by 7mph at 70 u are lucky,just as easy to use a gps for the correct speed

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd est. that the listed speed is 15-20mph higher than actual. I did have the gear drive off the axle to do a front tire change, so that got removed, disassembled and re-lubed... And I did verify that that is working fine. But like I stated in my original post, by switching the speed sensor with one from a different year bike, everything worked but the speedometer reading was off by maybe as much as 15-20 mph. I was just hoping that someone knew of a fix for these things. The GPS route is a solution. I was just wanting to keep all the original equipment working if feasible. I guess that some things don't last forever. If anyone does have a working sensor from an 85 or 86, I'd be interested. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The repair manual has a procedure for checking the speed sensor, which is is essence, a hall effect switch. I'm like you in the fact that they are difficult to find used, and when you do, they want a war pension for one, I just ride according to the tach most of the time, and if I really wanted to, I could use my wife's GPS, I guess. Just kinda bites that Honda has discontinued these parts and no-one has came up with a good alternative that's relatively cheap. A lot of the older wings have this problem, and I could sell a truckload of 'em if I had 'em. Nuff said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.