Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

86 GL1200

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ceasefire49 
#1 ·
Smells of gas fumes after ride? Can't find anything leaking.

#3 ·
If you only notice it after a long ride it might be normal. The gas is heated by the engines heat and expands. That creates pressure. If the pressure gets high enough it can be relieved through the gas cap. There have been members who said there was so much pressure being released after a long ride that the bike sounded like a horn waas going off and they selled gas. Open your gas door next time and see if that is the source.

#5 ·
Actually, mine has been doing the same for a couple of years, now. No clues, other than it seems to originate from the tank area, rather than the carbs.

I have replaced the cap gasket and the sender gasket and haven't noticed any improvement. Thinking maybe a new cap, but they aren't available any more.

On my '85, the sending unit had been installed wrong by a previous owner, so I thought maybe you'd get lucky looking there.

#6 ·
Actually, mine has been doing the same for a couple of years, now. No clues, other than it seems to originate from the tank area, rather than the carbs.

I have replaced the cap gasket and the sender gasket and haven't noticed any improvement. Thinking maybe a new cap, but they aren't available any more.

On my '85, the sending unit had been installed wrong by a previous owner, so I thought maybe you'd get lucky looking there.
My old Harleys were bad. They smelled hot and gassy. :)

#7 ·
My '85 1200 sometimes had faint gas fumes wafting from it when hot and I had just shut off. I dumped the contents of the black plastic box like catch can (or whatever it was) at rear of motor down on left as I recall, been years and it's gone now and I let my books go with it.

#8 ·
Due to age. I'd replace the Gas cap Gasket. (They get the impression of the filler neck embedded in them over time, and can't seal as well as they used too.
Number 27 here.

Then if you still smell fuel,after replacing the cap gasket?.
Pull the seat and look for tell tale signs of seepage around the gas tank sender unit.
That gasket is still available too.

Make sure There is no pinched hose on the gas tank breather.(#19)

When was the last time you emptied the condensation storage tank. It can cause gas odor issues if its full.
Number 18 in the above link.

#12 ·
I used to have a Yamaha XS1100 and the petcock needed fixing. Simply took it apart and filled in the long hole and bno more vacuum and just turned off/on/reserve. Maybe you could do the same? There's a Valkyrie forun that details how they did it.

Also Randakk has a 100/1100 kit that works on many 1200.
GL1000 / GL1100 Petcock Repair Kit (included in GL1000 and GL1100 Master Kit)
Note: This kit is also suitable for early GL1200 models that use 1/4" fuel hose (5.5mm). Generally this means most 1984-1986 GL1200 models. Not for 1987 models or 1986 models that use 3/8" fuel hose (10mm).https://www.randakks.com/gl1000-gl1100-petcock-repair-kit-included-in-gl1000-and-gl1100-master-kit.html
And for 3/8 models:
The fuel petcock rebuild kit that works is for 1986-1989 TRX350 and 1989-1990 FL400R ATVs. The kits are made by Mikuni

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.