Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 GL1200 A and my P.O. (previous owner) gave me a part that he removed because he said it needed to be cleaned all the time and he was tired of cleaning it. Anyone know what this is? Where it goes? Why does my wing seem to run fine without it? Should I reinstall it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
That's the catch tank for the airbox/crankcase breather system. It only needs cleaned once a year unless you do a lot of high speed or wet weather riding. It tucks in above the starter on lower rear portion of engine.(battery side)

The P.O. may have left the line to it unplugged. I drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of mine as I was tired of the removal/draining ritual. If you want it on, put it on, if not I'd make sure the original line from the airbox is unplugged and able to drain to the bottom of the frame.

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great thanks Shooter for the info, I'll try to finde the line coming from bottom of air box and see what he did with it. So what is it cetching water? Why would Honda put it on the bike insed of just putting a drain tube on it?

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Why would Honda put it on the bike insed of just putting a drain tube on it?
I've never really thought about it. I guess a trip into the manual is needed, I first ran across the catch tanks on my 1980 CB900 Custom.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It's up to you.

You can leave the drain tube from the separator box open and get unfiltered air into the clean side of your air filter.

You can as suggested and drill a hole in the bottom of the collection tank, see above.

You can plug the drain line and have the moisture and ? drain back into the crankcase.

As I said it's up to you.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Of course you wouldnt want your precious wing to deposit contaminated fluids straight on the ground similar to a Harley would you?

Attachments

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's up to you.

You can leave the drain tube from the separator box open and get unfiltered air into the clean side of your air filter.

You can as suggested and drill a hole in the bottom of the collection tank, see above.

You can plug the drain line and have the moisture and ? drain back into the crankcase.

As I said it's up to you.
Ok Ken, thanks for the added info! As I stated in the first post my p/o removed it not me, untill I started cleaning the gradge today i had forgotten about it, my wing has ran great in the 5k miles I have put on her in the 3.5 months I've had her. Untill Shooter told me what it was I had no clue on what it was or where it whent on the girl. With the pic that tricky posted I now can see where it goes and with my automotive mechanic experiance I can see it probably would be a good idea to reinstall it.

Thank you everyone that have replyed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.