Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

86 gl1200i - Having difficulty getting carb cleaned enough to run

607 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DriverRider 
#1 ·
Hey!

I'm in the process of restoring an 86 gl1200i, and I had taken off the entire carb block, rebuilt the float bowls with new gaskets, jets and floats.

My issue is, is the bike still wont run, and I think it's because the carb is still clogged somewhere.

If i spray carb cleaner or starter fluid directly into the intake on top of the block itll start right up and idle until it burns it all. And I replaced the fuel pump so i know gas is trying to make it to the carb, but its clogged somewhere.

Gas makes it in because if I undo the drain plugs, gas rushes out, but it's not making it all the way through.

I've very painfully taken off the entire carb again. And I've started blowing air through everything to diagnose it.

One issue I'm having is, a previous owner removed the plugs to get to the idle screws, and when I turn them counter clock wise to loosen them thet back al the way out but wont come out. They just spin. They'll spin tight but once they're closed they dont come out. How can I get them out to clean them?

Also the two main jets inside the float bowl, do these get tightened all the way? Or do they only get turned in x amount of times?

Anyone have any tips on how to really clean this thing? And tips on reassembly? Thanks

See less See more
#6 ·
The mixture screws have O rings on them which give it a snug fit, tug on them with a small pair of needle nose pliers to remove. Take note of the washer and spring in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.