Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Y'all, I'm back... In March of 2017 I joined this site because I was about to pick up my "new to me" GoldWing, a 1986 Interstate with 25000 miles. I received a lot of good advice on how to proceed with my project, unfortunately, as does so often happen, life reared it's sometimes ugly head and I had to put the Wing on the back burner. But now we're both back.
I have some pics of the progress, or lack of progress, to this point, but it seems they are over 3 mb so I can't seem to post them.
Anybody have any ideas on resolving this issue? Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started rebuilding the carbs yesterday and found a couple bad diaphragms.
Any ideas on where I can get some new carb diaphragms? Randakks doesn't have any, ebay has them in the UK and China. Do you think the Chinese ones are OK?
I still can't post due to the file size of my pics. I tried MS Paint but all I can get it to do is reduce the size of the pic, not the actual size of the file.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the rubber boots between the carb and the intake tubes removable? Or are they permanently attached?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Removeable. A heat gun on low setting (or a hair dryer on high) or maybe boil them to warm these up a little will soften the old rubber some and make it easier to get off.

·
Administrator
57,646 Posts
I have some pics of the progress, or lack of progress, to this point, but it seems they are over 3 mb so I can't seem to post them.
Anybody have any ideas on resolving this issue? Any help would be appreciated...
2 ideas for you.

1) upload your pictures to www.Imgur.com and then click on the new thumbnail and right click your mouse, then select "Copy Image Location" or words to that effect.

Then you can click on the yellow Landscape icon and paste the URL to the pix there, works like a charm.

2) GIMP is a great program and runs in any computer language, Windoze, Linux, MacOS e.g.

load the pix, then select "Scale Image" and enter just one number, the 1st at the top..... try a width of 600 or less, press ENTER and it scales it.

then use Left Shift, Control, 'E' which will cause it to Export the new scaled image... I just let it over-write the existing image, keeps the same name.

GIMP is a breeze to cut out just a tiny part of an image.....
Use Tools/Selection Tools/Rectangle Select

then just drag the mouse to enclose only the part you want to show us.
Then do 'Alt I' and 'I' and it will cut out only what you selected.
again, works like a charm and super fast to use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are GL1200 valve covers chrome?...? The covers on my '86 are. I don't really want chrome and want to paint them, but I heard you can't get paint to stick to chrome very well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Subscribed. Smartin, I'm in the same boat! :needahug:Currently restoring an '86 Aspencade as a first bike. Got it to rough running and driving condition, but must pull the carbs due to grievous fuel leak. It's definitely a learning process... Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone up for a guessing game?
OK, here we go... Four carbs to rebuild on a GW1200, right? I'm reassembling the 4th one, just finished screwing the top cap on, I look down and the giant spring is laying on the workbench... #*&@!*...
So who can guess how many times that happened out of the 4 carbs? Winners get a big ATTABOY... One guess per member...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can someone advise me on getting "Oil Lock 'B' " out of the lower forks on an '86 Interstate?

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Can someone advise me on getting "Oil Lock 'B' " out of the lower forks on an '86 Interstate?
It should just fall out if you have the fork apart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It should just fall out if you have the fork apart.
You would think so, but nope... It seems like the O-ring was too tight, I was finally able to coerce it far enough so that I could cut the O-ring , grab the end with some pliers and pull it out... After that it practically fell out,,,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts