Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this '86 that I finished up getting back to running shape that had been setting for over 4 yrs. Now that I have it running, I noticed that when I state the bike sometimes after it has been sitting for a day or so I get a small amount of white smoke when it is started. The bike has only 39,000 miles on the clock right now. I am only getting about 39 mpg. Yes I did the carbs and have set them twice. Is this white smoke from water and how bad of a problem do I have? The bike runs real good and starts up with no problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the same problem with my 86 Interstate, just after it has been sitting all night. I was thinking valve guides maybe, but I am far from knowledgeable on motorcycles. I am curious also.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
a little bit of smoke after sitting is fairly normal for the 1200's
my 86 aspy would puff a little smoke everytime I started it after it cooled down if I left it parked on the side stand. it's just a little oil seaping by the seals
if it's coolant you will be able to smell it, antifreeze has a very distinct oder when burned

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
Is it smoke or steam? Steam dissipates quickly while smoke will hang around awhile.
Park the bike on the centerstand and make sure the oil level isn't too high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.