Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an ignition switch for my 84 Interstate, do I have to get one from the exact same bike,or will one from a 86 sei work? I tried to order the switch from the dealer in Lumberton NC.Real nice person he ordered one from Honda and was going to fix it for me free of charge but he couldn't get it from Honda.I have located a 86 sei , l am hoping that someone knows if it will work,and will help me.Thank you all that have helped me before with this bike.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Not the same part #s and even look different in the picture.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
an sei or ltd switch will not work,i have a couple i bought somewhere's,let me check what i have

upper body on those are about 1" longer

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave0430 and Neoracer. Mr.Currie at CurrieChain Saw, the Honda dealer, was ordering part number 35104-mg9-405 base contact.There is another part number for another part of the switch I don"t rember the number but these two numbers are the same on the Interstate and the sei.Then the number for the whole switch is different.I am confused about this but I'm thinking maybe I could use the base off the sei and the key part of my switch. I just don't know,I don't have it out and I've never seen one so Ijust don't know what will work and what won't. Or could the one on my bike be fixed?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Or could the one on my bike be fixed?
That depends on what's wrong with it and you haven't told us.

If your switch is one of the early 1984 ones that were recalled the later bases will not fit it. The fact that your dealer would do it for free suggests that it maybe. As the source of replacement switches seems to have dried up you're between a rock and a hard place.

neoracer says the SEi and LTD switches are different as is the 1984 Standard switch.

The Interstate and Aspencade switches for all years appear to be the same despite different part numbers but I don't know as I've never tried.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
the base unit may very well be the same,its the upper body that is definitely longer on the sei and ltd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.