Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought an 86 Interstate this summer and have had a blast with it. It only had 25K miles on it and looks like it came from the showroom. Nothing but sweet. Recently, I noticed the battery level was extremely low so I filled'er up. I thought that was strange since the battery was less than 2 months old. I checked again this week and found it low again. I suspected the battery was being overcharged so I hooked up my volt meter. Well, even I know that 17.75 volts @3000 rpms is too much! I checked and rechecked both at the battery and with a meter that plugs into my cig lighter....both readings were the same.The battery starts out around 12.5 then while idling, it creeps up to around 14. When I rev to 3000, it starts rolling up then stabilzes around 17.7. What could cause that?

I checked the yellow wires and they have been soldiered. All looks good there. I also noticed that the EC harness has been installed. I don't really like the looks of that harness connections though. There are 2 brown wires, 1 red, one blue and one black. I followed the brown wires to the coils. At the right hand coil (sitting on the bike), the brown wire is connected to the right most post. The original wire is just left hanging (not connected to anything). On the left coil, the brown wire is connected to the right most post as well. However, on the left side, the original coil wire is connected to the blue harness wire with a blade fuse.The red wire is connected to the (+) battery and I assume the black wire is to ground (couldn't follow it all the way). Does this sound correct? If so, OK.....if not, what is correct and why am I getting such high voltage to the battery?

I would suspect that a stator problem would show with low charging voltage and not high.........any help??????

Attachments

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It sounds like the regulator is shot. 17.7 volts is about the highest reading I ever heard of (previously 16.1) on a GL1200. That's why your battery is boiling up.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

billpapst wrote:
I bought an 86 Interstate this summer and have had a blast with it. It only had 25K miles on it and looks like it came from the showroom. Nothing but sweet. Recently, I noticed the battery level was extremely low so I filled'er up. I thought that was strange since the battery was less than 2 months old. I checked again this week and found it low again. I suspected the battery was being overcharged so I hooked up my volt meter. Well, even I know that 17.75 volts @3000 rpms is too much! I checked and rechecked both at the battery and with a meter that plugs into my cig lighter....both readings were the same.The battery starts out around 12.5 then while idling, it creeps up to around 14. When I rev to 3000, it starts rolling up then stabilzes around 17.7. What could cause that?

I checked the yellow wires and they have been soldiered. All looks good there. I also noticed that the EC harness has been installed. I don't really like the looks of that harness connections though. There are 2 brown wires, 1 red, one blue and one black. I followed the brown wires to the coils. At the right hand coil (sitting on the bike), the brown wire is connected to the right most post. The original wire is just left hanging (not connected to anything). On the left coil, the brown wire is connected to the right most post as well. However, on the left side, the original coil wire is connected to the blue harness wire with a blade fuse.The red wire is connected to the (+) battery and I assume the black wire is to ground (couldn't follow it all the way). Does this sound correct? If so, OK.....if not, what is correct and why am I getting such high voltage to the battery?

I would suspect that a stator problem would show with low charging voltage and not high.........any help??????
Billpapst, at 17.7 volts that sounds pretty close to full stator output with a normal bike electricalload so for some reason you aren't getting voltage regulation.. The stator sure sound fine though.

-Start by verifying both thelarge red/red &red/white wires coming from the regulator end up with full battery voltage (it can't regulate if there is an open there)..

-Then verify Both green wires from the regulator either end up at full chassis ground or the battery (-) post..

-Then verify the black (or black/green) wire coming out of the regulator is powered up with the ign & kill switch turned on (needs to be about battery voltage or real close to it anyhow..

If all the above requirements are met you probably have a failedvoltage regulator..

If something in the above isn't correct, repair that then re-test..

Some of the above wires are cut & re-routed when installing the EC harness so something might be amiss there..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey Twisty and Enlisted, thanks for the quick response. I checked the outputs as you described. Both red's coming from the regulator show full voltage (same as battery). I have a meter plugged in to a lighter recepticle plus a hand-held that I checked the wires with.....both were the same....next I verified the greens went to ground...they are good.....now for the difference.......the black wire coming from the regulator is cut.....not connected to anything......I checked it and there was no voltage....looking at the plastic connecter where I ASSUME those wires were connected originally, I see another black wire and it is likewise cut. (see attachment) I tested the voltage there and itis full voltage. Does this mean those 2 wires should be connected?

This is one of the reasons I suspect the EC harness. It just doesn't look right and if I knew how, I would be tempted pull it out and rewire to original.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I think that the PO / EC installer just got a little frisky, and cut ALL the wires on the Reg plug... The only one not to be cut is the black one , according to the EC harness install instructions.. You might try to follow these instructions.... and see if its fixable                                                                                   http://www.geocities.com/captjerry4/stator.html                                                                                   SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif This is the correct URL... but I am a "Safari " user, and  it looks as if you will have to copy, and paste this link to Capt Jerry's site .../forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks like your link died!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

billpapst wrote:
now for the difference.......the black wire coming from the regulator is cut.....not connected to anything......I checked it and there was no voltage....looking at the plastic connecter where I ASSUME those wires were connected originally, I see another black wire and it is likewise cut. (see attachment) I tested the voltage there and itis full voltage. Does this mean those 2 wires should be connected?

This is one of the reasons I suspect the EC harness. It just doesn't look right and if I knew how, I would be tempted pull it out and rewire to original.
:waving::waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Site on the Internet billpapst!:waving::waving:

Why not contact EC and see what they say?

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl1200_charge.htm

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

We have yet ANOTHER satisfied customer on the Goldwing Page! I connected the 2 black wires and the voltage dropped to a respectible 15.4 @3000 rpms. Much better and seems to be within tolerance. You guys are the BOMB! Now off to Boone, NC for a ride on the BlueRidge next weekend with the boyz!

Twisty was right on again and it seems the EC installer DID just get carried away. Maybe that's why I got the bike so cheap? What a deal! It have had nothing but compliments on it.

Thanks again :toast:Bill Papst

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Well done to Twisty. Don't be too surprised if your battery doesn't last too long though, 17.7 volts is enough to kill a battery off soon after.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

........ Slowly falling over into my beer ... and trying to drown my sorrows.... I thought I was the one who said  that the PO had cut too many wires./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/baffled.gif...Oh welll.... No good deed goes unpunished.. I will be taking it up with the MANA investigation committee ./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif.. LOL  LOL... I am so glad you got your classic working  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
........ Slowly falling over into my beer ... and trying to drown my sorrows.... I thought I was the one who said that the PO had cut too many wires./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/baffled.gif...Oh welll.... No good deed goes unpunished.. I will be taking it up with the MANA investigation committee ./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif.. LOL LOL... I am so glad you got your classic workingSilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

You DID say it, SilverDave. I think it is what lit the light. But so did Twisty--sort of:

"Then verify the black (or black/green) wire coming out of the regulator is powered up with the ign & kill switch turned on (needs to be about battery voltage or real close to it anyhow.."

You both deserve lots of credit and we all are very happy that you are both so helpful.

Hawker22

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
........ Slowly falling over into my beer ... and trying to drown my sorrows.... I thought I was the one who said that the PO had cut too many wires./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/baffled.gif...Oh welll.... No good deed goes unpunished.. I will be taking it up with the MANA investigation committee ./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif.. LOL LOL... I am so glad you got your classic workingSilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif
Damn SilverDave, you're getting more like REDWING I can't stand the thought of you drowning in your beer. Have a Mana!

Well I tried to give you a mana and as usual the stupid mana button doesn't work!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hey SilverDave.....you were EXACTLY right! Hawker22 said it correctly.....you had it pinpointed but, I actually reconnected the black wires just before I saw your response. So.....I will give you and Twisty BOTH the kudos (or Mana) on this one! I REALLY appreciate the response ALL of you guys provide. Without guys like you , guys like me would be driving cars and trucks.In fact, I just sold my Harley because there WAS nobody like you on the Harley pages. Iliked the Harley too but hated the 'tax'........Have one on me! :blackstuff:

BTW GWNorman, I did replace that battery with a new Westco AGM battery today just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Yes... There is definitely a MANA problem here.... Two weeks  ago, I tried to give Twisty one... and its stuck ... !!!   Exavid has 1 and 1/2,  Twisty has 1 and 1/2 ... and so do lots of Guru's ... heavy sigh ...                                                                       The original EC harness instructions that I got from Electrical Connection  did NOT include a wiring Diagram, but had very explicit instructions.... Two suggestions , If you have the harness working ...  a)Tuck the 2 fused red lines  neatly across the top of the battery, and tape them  to waterproof them ... you would not think water could get into there, and actually into the fuse , but ... ... but (Don't ask me how I know )                   b) if the harness  is  working,  EC said you can now start to up your plug gap , slowly in 5 thou increments , until it stutters, and gags... I started with new plugs, at around 30 thou , and wound  up with ideal running at around 50 thou.plug gap .. gives the old girl a little more power, and supposdly better burning in the  combustion chamber ...... but then I believe in MMO too !.... (and I used to believe in Mana ) SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Hmmmm I do like Irish beer /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/leprechaun.gif... But. wait, wait .. was comparing me to RED WING meant to be a compliment ??? Or a slam ? ...  oh scratch that ... on this site...  It was  probably meant as a healthy  'dig" to get me out of my beer ...  SilverDave  /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif                      Gotta go tune up my Deer whistles .../forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.