Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to Goldwing, I have a bunch of questions about my 86 GL12Thanks00I. I'm definitely finding out parts are hard to find, and I've got my work cut out for me with my new old Lady.

I've got a Randaks carb rebuild kit on the way, let's see how that goes.

But, somehow I lost my left side drivers foot rest, anyone know where to find replacements?

The trunk is busted at the hinges, will a harbor freight plastic welder kit work to repair it or is fiberglass better?

I have more questions, but I will wait for the carb overhaul to ask them.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Welcome. I lost a left sidecover on the way home after buying the bike. A local member here sold me one at a decent price. I have since rigged up tethers to hold them in place, as they have no screws. You can sometimes find them on eBay, but the prices are ridiculous. For some reason, right side covers are always a lot cheaper.

The trunk is ABS plastic, and can be difficult to repair, especially in a structural area like around the hinges. I have done repairs like that by cutting out the broken area with a Dremel and a cutoff wheel, then using a steel or aluminum plate bigger than the area you cut out, I drilled holes around the edges and attached it with screws and nuts to good solid plastic, and attached the hinge to the metal plate.

On my 1200, I accidentally left a bottle of brake fluid in the left saddlebag, some of it spilled, and caused several cracks in the bottom of the bag. I took a Dremel and cutoff wheel, cut out the entire cracked area, leaving a large hole in the bottom of the bag, then patched it with a thin piece of sheet metal cut to fit and attached with screws. A little silicone around the edges made it water tight.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
You must have some sort of aftermarket foot boards. Stock stuff is pegs. It's a SPORT motorcycle.
Probably be best to get on ebay and pick up what you need to bring it back to factory spec. Even if you figure out who made the boards, finding parts may be impossible.

As far as the trunk goes, we will need pictures. It is ABS plastic and fiberglass really won't fix it. Look at the bottom of the trunk. It may be all busted up there, too. If it is, ebay might be the better bet. Some have had OK results with welding. It was simply a waste of time and money for me. Many suggest ABS cement too. First...pictures.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Forgot about the pegs. I got some from eBay. The stock pegs. Mine came with an absolutely awful floorbord and heel and toe shifter setup that I thought was stock at first. I soon found it was not, removed it, gave it away to another forum member for shipping, and installed the stock pegs. I like it 10 times better. It feels about 300 pounds lighter, and handles way better. The clunky shifting smoothed out a lot. It actually feels like a regular motorcycle with the pegs instead of the floorboards.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
My son, who works with fiberglass for a living, fixed the cracks in the trunk with fiberglass. First scuffed it up a lot more than I did with 40 grit on a grinder. Layed up several layers of fiberglass mat. The stuff that looks like random patern then followed it up with woven stuff for a smooth finish. It held for more than a year until I sold it. As far as I know the new owner has not had a problem with the repair.

But like I said he is a pro with fiberglass repairs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the replies.

I'm in the process of over hauling the carbs. All is going well, but I was chatting with the Brother who gave me the bike and he found the same thing I did. Brown sludge in the plenum and #4 carb was nasty when he did the carb clean out. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the vacuum lines since that is theone carb that the vvacuum line goes to the tee fitting.

The reason I over hauled the carbs was huge loss of power at low engine speed. Sputtering like it was trying to stall out almost like it is starving for fuel. Then all of a sudden like something kicks into place and it surges with full power.

I've got fairly good spark on all for plugs.

I also read about slow air cut off valve and found out my brother never changed it.

So I guess my current question is...

Do these symptoms and findings point to anything else that I should be looking for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.