Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1986 goldwing interstate (winebury)
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall went to start the bike
Hit the starter,the starter it stayed engaged,hit the kill switch,still stayed engaged ,put it in gear then it stalled out,
The 30 amp fuse was melted I want to install a new starter solenoid am I missing something else??????thanks

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
Geofd, the only other thing I can think of it to be is possibly the switch. I'd disconnect the wire on the starter side of the solenoid, replace the fuse, and get yer meter for some testing. If this is a GL1200 check the starter side of the solenoid for voltage without the starter button pushed in. If you have voltage chances are the solenoid is stuck. To confirm this, check the two wires at the back of the solenoid connector for voltage when you push the starter switch. One is the hot wire and the other is the ground for energizing the solenoid..

Good Luck with her!!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

If it were me, I would first test the relay. There have been others here who've had this problem but mostly with 1500s. Search for some threads for the details.

Keep in mind, aftermarket relays can be wired backwards from the OEM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geofd, the only other thing I can think of it to be is possibly the switch. I'd disconnect the wire on the starter side of the solenoid, replace the fuse, and get yer meter for some testing. If this is a GL1200 check the starter side of the solenoid for voltage without the starter button pushed in. If you have voltage chances are the solenoid is stuck. To confirm this, check the two wires at the back of the solenoid connector for voltage when you push the starter switch. One is the hot wire and the other is the ground for energizing the solenoid..

Good Luck with her!!!
Gonna change the solenoid anyway if the fuse melted it must have gotten very hot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, welcome to the forum.

If it were me, I would first test the relay. There have been others here who've had this problem but mostly with 1500s. Search for some threads for the details.

Keep in mind, aftermarket relays can be wired backwards from the OEM.
Ok I will try that gonna change the solenoid any way because the main fuse melted
Probably damaged the solenoid thanks everyone for the quick responses

·
Administrator
26,581 Posts
Please be advised, as was already mentioned if you buy an aftermarket part you CAN NOT just plug it in and expect it to work. If you do plug it in without first checking the way it is wired you could cause damage to your bike.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please be advised, as was already mentioned if you buy an aftermarket part you CAN NOT just plug it in and expect it to work. If you do plug it in without first checking the way it is wired you could cause damage to your bike.
I don’t know enough about the wiring so I will order directly from Honda

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Then that may not be an OEM relay. Tread carefully as, if it's one of the ones that's wired backwards, your circuit may have been altered and nothing from the manuals will be useful.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Ok I will try that gonna change the solenoid any way because the main fuse melted
Probably damaged the solenoid thanks everyone for the quick responses
Then that may not be an OEM relay. Tread carefully as, if it's one of the ones that's wired backwards, your circuit may have been altered and nothing from the manuals will be useful.
Dennis,
Might he be talking about the fuse that pushes right in to the solenoid?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Redwing, the OEM unit has a dogbone. Some folks put wired blade fuse holders dangling off the dogbone screws, so it may still be an OEM relay. However, many chose to go with cheap aftermarket relays that used the blade fuse.

I'm just trying to give a heads-up to be careful until we know what he's dealing with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Redwing, the OEM unit has a dogbone. Some folks put wired blade fuse holders dangling off the dogbone screws, so it may still be an OEM relay. However, many chose to go with cheap aftermarket relays that used the blade fuse.

I'm just trying to give a heads-up to be careful until we know what he's dealing with.
I had I pop a couple of years ago and bought a variety of the same style fuses they all are the same and fit in my fuse box so the 30 amp is the samame as all the fuses...if that makes any clearer....guy/gal thank for so many responses I was on another site and got none this will be a great help because I want to get it running!!!!!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
If it plugs into a fuse holder added (wired) on to the relay, just get rid of the aftermarket piece and use a stock fuse. If the fuse holder is part of the relay, you'll need to replace said relay. And that is when/where the trouble can begin. Read through the posts in this search.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Yes it does
If the plug in connector on the solenoid looks good there is a common failure. To make a long story short, the root cause of a stuck solenoid is usually a weak or pow charged battery, What happens internal the solenoid is there is a spring loaded return spring on one of the contacts. When the weak battery engages the contacts they get fused (stuck) together and the return spring is not strong enough to pull them apart. The points are not stuck much at all and usually a couple of hard taps with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle will break them apart and the solenoid will work fine. At this point some replace the solenoid and some don't. It is your call.
A test of the battery would be a good idea. If you connect a volt meter to the starter post and watch the voltmeter while you crank the engine you should see 9.8 volts or higher while you crank the engine. If you see lower than that you should find out why. Could be a bad battery. Poor connection or a starter issue.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the plug in connector on the solenoid looks good there is a common failure. To make a long story short, the root cause of a stuck solenoid is usually a weak or pow charged battery, What happens internal the solenoid is there is a spring loaded return spring on one of the contacts. When the weak battery engages the contacts they get fused (stuck) together and the return spring is not strong enough to pull them apart. The points are not stuck much at all and usually a couple of hard taps with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle will break them apart and the solenoid will work fine. At this point some replace the solenoid and some don't. It is your call.
A test of the battery would be a good idea. If you connect a volt meter to the starter post and watch the voltmeter while you crank the engine you should see 9.8 volts or higher while you crank the engine. If you see lower than that you should find out why. Could be a bad battery. Poor connection or a starter issue.:)
The. Is about 2-3 years old always on. A tender in the off season sometimes during
Starter. Is 3 years old it was I did have a new 30 amp fuse relay doesn’t look new
I will pull the bike out when the weather cooperates and give it a couple of taps
Is there. A brand name for a relay I can just connect and go
There is a small shop near me he also has the same year goldwing interstate I’m gonna see if he is still open during this virus and ask a few questions I did have the altenator conversion if that means anything thanks everyone for your patience

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
The. Is about 2-3 years old always on. A tender in the off season sometimes during
Starter. Is 3 years old it was I did have a new 30 amp fuse relay doesn’t look new
I will pull the bike out when the weather cooperates and give it a couple of taps
Is there. A brand name for a relay I can just connect and go
There is a small shop near me he also has the same year goldwing interstate I’m gonna see if he is still open during this virus and ask a few questions I did have the altenator conversion if that means anything thanks everyone for your patience
I bet if you tap on it several times it will break loose. If it does break loose and work again you can just run it,knowing what to do if it acts up or do the tests.Do you have the ability to do the voltage tests I mentioned above? If not you could buy a voltmeter at Harbor Freight for about $5 and the guys will walk you through doing the tests. It is not hard to do and the meter is handy around the house for testing things. :).

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
I buy those HF voltmeters every time I go to their store.
I leave on in every vehicle, and toolbox, and in the RV.

When you just a simple voltmeter, that one does the trick.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts