Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Just got back from a trip to Colorado, Wyoming and the Black Hills of S.D. Great scenery and the old girl ran great the whole time. Even at 12,000 feet in the Rockies! Just had to set the idle up a touch for that. There is a minor (I hope) glitch thatbegan showingup only during hot weather. Through Kansas going out and on the way back thru Chicago traffic (ugh!!!) the digital dash display would flicker from time to time. It would be normal and then, for a half a second or so, it would look like it does when first starting the bike, every possibly darkarea on the lcdshowing dark. Then it would return to normal. Are there any connections that I should check first? Or should I start watching ebay for a new display? Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I'd pull the dash and check the connector blocks in the dash, maybe spray WD40 into them. It's worth a shot before spending money.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Ditto, what FitzAl said Could be inside, on the induction pads. A little tricky to do but a pencil eraser on those areas, lightly can do wonders.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Oh, be sure to have very small hands, fingers available. What a blast to remove several of the screws, and even worse, getting them back. I sure could have come up with a better plan. I sometimes wonder wher they got some of their engineers. OK, so it has to be tight quarters, but, you engineers, think a little more of the guy down the road that has to work on this stuff! Jeeeeeezzzzzz I end up with abrasions, cuts, all too often. Course, I have extra large hands. :( Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob, were you missing for a while? Don'e recall reading any of your posts this last couple of weeks. :waving:I'd do what Al suggests, spending money when you might not have to is a sin in my book!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Hi Brian. Been very busy last cpl. weeks, death, moving a friend, getting ready for a trip, 2 engine swaps, for starters. Now, all caught up, and just waiting for weather to clear up. Thanx for the interest. :waving:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks a lot for the tips! :DYou've given me a little hope that maybe it's a relatively small problem. Now all I have to do is get out the manual and decide how much time it'll take me to check and cleanthe connections. And I'm like Bob, fairly thick fingers and hands. Yep, it's gonna be big fun! Oh well, my cussing skills need a good workout anyhow. lol

I heard alittle story to explain the engineers point of view. The head engineer knew his wife had a boyfriend on the side. And try as he might, he never did find out exactly who the guy was. The only thing he could find out for sure was that the guy was a mechanic. :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

How did thios turn out wildman? I'm always interested in any solutions for the 1200 that I can get.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well, so far I haven't had the time to tear everything apart. It is intermittant and only during hot weather. From another thread I can also add the ignition switch to the list of suspects, at least until I have time to check the wiring schematicand see if it's possible. I'm kind of hoping it will hangin thereuntil the end of the riding season. Once I start tearing into the dashboard, I'll be examining, cleaning, lubing etc.everything within reach. I'd like to have the time to do it at a relaxed pace so that whatever I redo will be good for another 19 years. I've really grown fond of the old girl and would like her to last a good long time.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ok, here's the update. I took the dash apart, wasn't as hard as I thought. I was replacing the headlight bulb with one of the Silverstar's and figured I might as well go the rest of the way. A few of the connection plugs were a little dirty. One in particular going into the back of the circuit board had a distinctive green color on one of the pegs. So I cleaned everything up well and reassembled it. I was too chicken to take the circuit boards apart, at least for now. Hopefully the cleaningI gave itwill take care of it. That one plug was kind of nasty. Of course, I won't know for a few months, it only does it when the temps are in the 80's and above. And that ain't happening soon here!I have been gettingsome riding in with the warm spells, though. It was in the 50's last week for a day or two. Almost felt like summer! Next project isremoving the air plenum and checking for vacuum problems. I have the new reed valves for the primary and secondary systems and bought a vacuum tester. The weather is turning cold again and work is still slow so maybe I'll get to that shortly.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I've heard of this happening on the Aspencade as well. It might be a good idea to put some of that silicone paste into all those hidden connectors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.