Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I'm new to the forum and read through many of the questions and replys. You folks are doing a great job and may be able to help me. My 86 Aspencade SEI's Fuel System Warning Light is on and it is really hard to start when the engine is cold. Once it warms up, only takes a few minutes, it runs and starts great. The problem only is present on the first start up in the morning and you have to start it, fiddle with the throttle, restart, fiddle with the throttle, etc, until it finally gets going and then it's fine. Is there a cold start module or some kind of an electrical part that helps the fuel injection when the engine is first started? Once the problem is fixed how do you get the warning light to go out? Thanks for any help, Peter

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Welcome..

There is an artificial enrichment sequence in the on board computer which (if I remember correctly) is activated when the ambient temperature drops to a specified preprogramed level. Outside the computer, there is a control box that then allows the injector control module to squirt more fuel... First I would look for loose connections at all the modules under the false tank including any wiring that may have been added to the bike over the years.. I've seen accessories attatched to just about anything on a bike just to have electricity to feed something. The SEi models were finicky animals if the electronic components were messed with..

Keep us informed on how you cure this one.. There are many other Gurus out there on this site who have some "expertise" with the SEi models and you'll be hearing from them shortly... good luck..:)

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Welcome pjfsail. Are you familier with how to diagnose your SEi's injection system? There are 5 LED's that display a self diagnostics code. Can you check this code and let us know the results.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to get the light to go off by disconnecting the battery while the ignition key is in the run or on position otherwise you will kill the very expensive ECU.

Once the problem is resolved the LED willreset automatically.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

See that??!!! You're already getting some serious input... You're on your way...

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

No Vic, I'm not familiar how to check the fuel injection system. I just bought the bike and have never had an SEI before. How can I get the information I need to check the codes? Renegade, you are so right about responses. I will follow your advice and check the connections and will not mess with it until I have sound advice. Thanks so much. Peter

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Here's what the LEDs on the computer mean.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Peter,

You're really going to need the Clymer Manual. You need the "Clymer Honda GL1200 1984-1987" ISBN: 0-89287-543-7 catalog M504.

There is one on eBay right now,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7952599078&category=34237&sspagename=WDVW

They are a little cheaper at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0892875437/qid=1107822687/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-2130586-2338514?v=glance&s=books

There is a good section on trouble shooting and maintaining the fuel injection system among lots more info. If you can find one, the Honda Electrical Supplemental Manual for the LTD and SEI is worth it's weight in gold. It covers all the different features of the SEI and has a good wiring diagram. There is a diagram in Clymer, but it's not nearly as good. I found one of these Honda manuals on eBay, it's worth spending some effort and cash.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Paul, I'm off to buy a Clymer's manual. In fact, that was my next question, which manual do I buy? As soon as I get it I can begin the diagnostic process. Thanks for the ISBN number, now I can be assured I get the right manual the first time. Where did the information come from about the LED's that you posted, I see it is chapter 7? Is this from the Clymer's manual or another source? I can't thank you enough for your help. Regards, Peter

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

pjfsail wrote:
Paul, I'm off to buy a Clymer's manual. In fact, that was my next question, which manual do I buy? As soon as I get it I can begin the diagnostic process. Thanks for the ISBN number, now I can be assured I get the right manual the first time. Where did the information come from about the LED's that you posted, I see it is chapter 7? Is this from the Clymer's manual or another source? I can't thank you enough for your help. Regards, Peter
The scan came from the Clymer's. Search a bit on eBay to try to find a Honda Supplemental manual too. It's loaded with information on troubleshooting the complex electrical system. You don't need anything fancy, a cheap digital VOM will suffice for carrying out the tests in the book.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have a good digital VOM, no problem there. The Clymer is on order and I'll start looking for the supplemental manual. As soon as I have the Clymer's I'll be back to the forum to let you all know what I've found or for more questions. Thanks to all for your input. I shall return. Peter

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Paul, I found a manual called, "Honda 1985 GL1200 GL 1200 Electrical Repair Manual" is this the manual you spoke of? If it is I'll buy it. Regards, Peter

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

exavid, it's none of my business, but, be careful about posting copyrighted material on the internet. If someone gets mad about it, it could cost you the equivalent of your beautiful Wing or even more.

pjfsail, I'm glad you've decided to get the manual. We could have helped you without it, but, one mistake and you could have paid for the manual ten times over.

Study it carefully and come back with lots of questions.

Vic

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Yes it would be better if you sent it via PM ,,for your own sake ,,Where it may never happen ,but there is always someone somewhere looking for the quick buck ,,cheers Ciaran :waving::waving:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

There wouldn't be a problem posting that for your own use so you can remember where you posted it. FH did that with his GL1800 manual, put the whole lot on his site and made it easy to find the password. If other folks happen to stumble on it as well that's okay as well.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Very creative Ben, but, I'm still wary of copyright legalities and always ask the copyright owners if I may use their material. Most say yes very quickly, but, some immediately say no because they do not want their information placed where they cannot update it if there are errors or omissions that they cannot retract or correct, because they are still liable.

I guess maybe I'm just hyper sensitive because I had a personal friend get hit with a $100,000. copyright infringement suit and thngs like that just tend to make one a little more aware of the possible consequences.

But, I still like how FH handled it.

Vic

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Totally understanging your concerns of copy right rules and appreciating the legal aspects of the post, what the post did for me is sort of like an advertisement and compelled me to go look for the book, which I did. I bought a NEW copy of the Clymer's manual on Amazon.com. This is a GOOD thing. Peter

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
exavid, it's none of my business, but, be careful about posting copyrighted material on the internet. If someone gets mad about it, it could cost you the equivalent of your beautiful Wing or even more.
Vic, in most cases I wouldn't however in this case I'm recommending the book to a potential buyer and U.S. law does allow samples to be published.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

It is hard to believe I posted this question way back in February. It is now May 15 and the SEI is running beautifully. First, I want to thank Steve Saunder's for the web site, a truly brilliant idea. I do want to contribute a donation so please tell me how to go about doing this. Next, my thanks and appreciation to Renegade, Vic, Paul W. and Dave Campbell. All of you helped me get started in solving the problem. It took me over a month to get the SEI to where I live. The reason it took so long, rain rain rain and more rain. I bought the SEI from a consignment dealer in Van Nuys, California and I live about 200 miles north of there. Anytime I had free time to drive the three hours down and three to return with the bike, it rained:X. In the meantime, I ordered the Clymer's manual right away and ordered Dave Campbell's wiring harness after going to his web site and reading his material. It was six more weeks before I was able to get started on the repairs. The first thing I did was to check the LED's to see what the computer said about the problem. The LED's on told me that there was a shorted signal wireor open circuit to the coolant temperature sender. This sender lives in the coolant crossover pipe under the fuel injection system, just above the top of the engine. I looked in there with my flashlight and what I saw was a HUGE SURPRISE :clapper:. It turns out a mouse had, at some point in the SEI's life, moved in and taken up residency on top of the engine, got hungry and you can guess the rest. I made the appropriate repairs to the chewed wiring and carried on with the rest of the project. I replaced the timing belts while I had the radiater removed. I looked at the three yellow stator wires and the plastic connector which had started to overheat, the upper portion of the connector was a smokey color. The original owner had told me the stator had been replaced under warranty. Funny, the Honda dealer did not hard wire the stator but continued to use the plastic connector :gunhead:. I followed Dave Campbell's easy to follow instructions to the letter and installed his wire harness.

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com
-----------------------------------
Now, I'll never have to worry how the little plastic connector is doing :D. Dave Campbell also suggested that when I change the engine oil to flush the system with kerosene, which I did. I also flushed the radiater with fresh water several times and installed new Anti Freeze. I used Prestone's Extended Life 5 year 150,000 mile. This is not only Silicate free but does not contain phosphates or Boron which may harm aluminum parts. Again, my thanks to all of you for your valuble advice. Regards, Peter

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.