Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok the weep hole is weeping. Automatic new water pump? Or can it just be O rings that need to be replaced? I didn't see any rebuild for the water pump itself so I assume that means a new unit. $117 at Bikebandit.com

Any suggestions for checking the water pump for conditionand what gaskets, O-rings, sealant to use?

(just put in new coolant too!):X

Thanks,

Airbeat

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
Ok the weep hole is weeping. Automatic new water pump? Or can it just be O rings that need to be replaced? I didn't see any rebuild for the water pump itself so I assume that means a new unit. $117 at Bikebandit.com
Any suggestions for checking the water pump for conditionand what gaskets, O-rings, sealant to use?
Airbeat
Airbeat, you probably don't need to replace the waterpump. When my 1200 started to weep, a newseal did the trick. A new seal kit runs around $30. Save the coolant when you drain it and put it back in. Here's a source for the seals if your're interested:

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/motorcycle_parts.php?bike=GL1200&subcategory=Waterpump+Seals&Start=0

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Don't know if this is the same as my 83 GL 1100. But I purchased a water pump from Service Honda for $98. Also has a very good parts breakdown on the web if needed.

http://www.servicehonda.com/test/index.htm

Billy

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I would hate to go to the trouble of pulling the front cover off and just fitting a seal to find the thing still leaking after. Why not treat yourself to a new pump for $98 and it will last for years. :)

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the help and resources for purchasing a new water pump.

Exavid how did you determine that it was just a seal and not a water pump problem? With such a small seep that I have I don't knowhow I could determinea water pump leak. Did you just check for freedom of movment and play in the bearings? Or something else?

Great pricing at Service Honda! Two other sites I checked wanted full list price. Nice savings. I think I'll get the water pump even if I find I don't need it now. I'm sure the time will come when I do and I will have it on hand.

Guess I'll need to order the seal kit no matter what. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I have the front cover off?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

To avoid it in the future, use silicate-free coolant.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thats what I've been using since I got it last Nov. Dont know about the history.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
Exavid how did you determine that it was just a seal and not a water pump problem? With such a small seep that I have I don't knowhow I could determinea water pump leak.Guess I'll need to order the seal kit no matter what. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I have the front cover off?
No reason, just liked the sound of it. Kidding aside from what I've seen on my bike and read on several forums, it's usually a leaking seal. It's notbad idea to have a pump on hand I suppose, but since it's not a big job, I'd personally risk the $30 for new seals before springing big bucks for a pump. On the other hand you can't go wrong replacing the whole shebeen or enchilada or ball of wax or whole nine yards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.