Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and I hope someone can help me. I may sound like a newbie, unfortunately I am though. I have a 1200 that I just cleaned the carb on, got it all put back together correctly I think, because it is running. But, only 2 pistons are firing, I have compression in each piston and each plug has good spark, I am thinking it is not getting gas or maybe air. I am totally lost. Book says I may need to adjust pilot screws, but before I started messing with that job I was hoping someone has had that problem before and could maybe help me out of a hole. Would appreciate any help at all.

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
You probably still some plugged jets. It is a very tedious job getting all the jets and passages clean.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I agree with Dave. These can be very troublesome to get right the first time, more so if they are REALLY dirty.

You did not mention if you used new seals, how far they were pulled apart, how the bike ran before the work, and what they were like inside.

The pilot air screws, if set to the factory pre-sets will normally be close enough, and should not cause the issue that you have.

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i used new seals, is there anyway to tell if they are still plugged?
I mean is there a way to see if any gas is getting to it?

They were really dirty, I mean really dirty too.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
remove the air filter and squirt WD-40 into each carb intake while it is running. That way you narrow down which 2 aren't working.

The only way I've found to clean the slow speed jets is to unscrew them and boil them in DISTILLED water on the stove for 15 to 20 minutes. Then check to make sure you can see all the way through them. It is a very very tiny hole. All of the jets, slow and high speed, unscrew so boil them all.

Don't feel bad. Many of us, including myself, have had to remove the carbs and clean them 2 or 3 or more times before we got them clean.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
How did you clean your carbs? Process you used, boil, soak in what or spray can?
Did you remove all parts from the carbs? Did you get the rubber o-ring out from under the pilot screws? .

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
remove the air filter and squirt WD-40 into each carb intake while it is running. That way you narrow down which 2 aren't working.

The only way I've found to clean the slow speed jets is to unscrew them and boil them in DISTILLED water on the stove for 15 to 20 minutes. Then check to make sure you can see all the way through them. It is a very very tiny hole. All of the jets, slow and high speed, unscrew so boil them all.

Don't feel bad. Many of us, including myself, have had to remove the carbs and clean them 2 or 3 or more times before we got them clean.
I keep a cheap magnifying glass around and use it to inspect jet holes when I do carbs, allows for a thorough inspection. Sometimes a jet is still partially clogged even though you can see through it.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
1st thing i'd check would be plug wires,then loosen the drain screws on the "bad" cylinders to make sure they even have gas in them,float may be stuck closed,then recheck idle jet setting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, I pulled the carb, and found that the slow jets were still partially clogged, I also noticed the floats were not set correctly. So I am boiling the slow jets in distilled water and readjusted floats to specs. hopefully after I put it back together it will work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Help

I am truly stumped now, fixed floats, cleaned slow jets, put it all back together and the same thing is wrong. It has gas it has spark but it is not firing. cylinders 2 and 3 are not firing at all. Could the pilot screws need adjusting or am I missing something simple?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Interesting that 2 and 3 are not firing but you say they have spark and fuel?

Check you plug wiring. The right side coil fires the front two cylinders and the left side coil fires the back two cylinders. It is easy to mess up especially if you are using a Clymers manual which has the spark plug wiring wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting that 2 and 3 are not firing but you say they have spark and fuel?

Check you plug wiring. The right side coil fires the front two cylinders and the left side coil fires the back two cylinders. It is easy to mess up especially if you are using a Clymers manual which has the spark plug wiring wrong.

That was the whole problem it seems, plug 2&3 were reversed. Runs good now, am having hard time trying to get idle under 2k though. Turned idle screw way down and I get a solid backfire when I cut off engine. Could throttle cable be too taunt?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
How many turns out are the pilot jets set? Does the idle "hang" above 2k RPMs a bit before slowly falling back to normal idle? Try and open up the pilot jet screws one turn each to see if the condition changes. Check on factory manual page 4-16 for final adjustments to pilot jets.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
Did you bench sync the carbs?
Is it possible one, or more of the slides are sticking?
Oh, and welcome to the forum. :waving:

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Probably the synch is way off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.