Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded a truck for an 87 1200i. Needs some work but starts, runs and rides. My last two bikes were a 1979 and 1980 1100 yamahas that i sold 20 years ago. I know I have a lot of cleaning and maintenance ahead of me. First major part i need is both headers. I can see daylight thru them. Mufflers are in great shape so they are not original.

My question is - are all oem headers from 84-87 Aspencade and interstate completely interchangeable? I see a lot of stuff on ebay but most have disclaimer " make sure this part fits your bike"

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
First major part i need is both headers. I can see daylight thru them. Mufflers are in great shape so they are not original.

My question is - are all oem headers from 84-87 Aspencade and interstate completely interchangeable? I see a lot of stuff on ebay but most have disclaimer " make sure this part fits your bike"
Welcome to the forum. :claps:

Although the early headers were a single piece per side and later ones multi piece any 1200 header will fit.
The only difference is that the multi piece headers can be removed without removing the engine crash guards.
It's the same with the muffler, any year will fit.

If you've got separate mufflers they're not stock and the headers may have been modified to fit them.
A picture of what you've got would help identify any modifications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken -thanks for the reply. The mufflers have a large fat crossflow area. I assume they are stock as they are one pc. Next question.? Will an aftermarket header fit to stock mufflers.

A dude at the bike shop down the street has a set of headers but he wants to fit them to Jardine mufflers. or to a set of sportster mufflers. I would rather keep the bike stock. At least until I make sure that it is ok and worth sinking money into.

It has 57K miles on it. PO put 20K in the sixteen years he owned it. and I have an idea it has been sitting outside uncovered for about a year.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If they're stock headers they'll fit.
If they're aftermarket headers to fit aftermarket mufflers probably not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.