Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Patrick Brandon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just to be clear I'm not endorsing any particular brand or size but these new lithium jump batterys are light and should be able to easily recharge the bikes battery multiple times.

https://m.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/battery-charger/noco-75-amp-6-12-volt-genius-battery-charger/388458_0_0?cmpid=PLA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:DBA:1700000848&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_r3nBRDxARIsAJljleFDTZ-XGK1TckJpcLsiJE4g0KBv-1_-NYQbIxw8tcd0JARN68kdIXcaAg__EALw_wcB

Using one of these wired to the battery would help the bike start then if left on should continue to charge the battery until it is charged while you ride.

You could strap it to the seat....

By the way ya'll I installed the last new crank shaft seal in my bike about 2 months ago.
That's a great idea until I can get to putting in a new staror this Winter. Then I wouldn't have to give up precious riding time this Summer.

Are you sure that this charger works when not plugged into a 120 AC wall outlet?

I looked pretty good at the specs, and don't see that it charges a battery if not plugged into an outlet. I might just be missing something?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
That's a great idea until I can get to putting in a new staror this Winter. Then I wouldn't have to give up precious riding time this Summer.

Are you sure that this charger works when not plugged into a 120 AC wall outlet?

I looked pretty good at the specs, and don't see that it charges a battery if not plugged into an outlet. I might just be missing something?
It sure looks like only a charger to me.

Here's link to a jump box with a lithium ion battery.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigravity-Battery-Jump-Starter-Box-Micro-Start-PPS-XP-3-Lithium-Ion-Charger/233054479761?epid=1728623526&hash=item3643212591:g:-sgAAOSwHAxcEvrO

·
Administrator
24,499 Posts

·
Administrator
57,648 Posts

I have much the same thing for my cellphones.

it is a 26,500 mAH battery pack.

Takes 2 or 3 days to charge it up, but once charged up, it will recharge a dead cellphone about 6 times.

I carry it with me for long day trips where we don't have anyway to recharge the phones. has been a life saver for me.

e.g., got off the bike at a Rest Stop many times, just need to rest a while, eat something, and cruise the Internet to get updates, emails, Facebook, etc.

The power pack is great for keeping the phone at full charge while I am idle.
it is not something to carry in your coat pocket, too damn heavy.

I have seen folks use those Jumper Packs to start up lawn tractors, and once saw it used to jump a car battery. But to think it will run a vehicle for more than a few minutes, or couple of hours? I doubt it.

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts

·
Administrator
24,499 Posts
Stator replacement shouldn't take that long. You don't actually have to remove the motor from the frame. The Honda shop way was to move it left and rotate it enough to get the stator cover off.

Call around and find a place that will re-wrap the stator or get a new one in hand before starting.

https://www.randakks.com/upgraded-stator-for-honda-gl1000-gl1100-and-gl1201.html
By the time you get it to where you could rotate it enough to get the rear cover off you might as well take it out so you can get to it, it's all disconnected by then anyway.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I went the better part of a riding season with a $35 Lawn-and-Garden battery in a saddlebag, parallel with the bike battery with heavy enough wire to start the bike. Even on an all-day poker run (6 stops, 250 miles total) I had enough juice left that the bike still started at the end of the day.

You can leave your stator connected, even in its current (no pun intended) condition it will still put out SOME juice even if not enough to run the bike... It will slow the demise of whatever battery arrangement you use.

Did you check your rec/reg diodes yet? (as posted on the other forum)

·
Patrick Brandon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I went the better part of a riding season with a $35 Lawn-and-Garden battery in a saddlebag, parallel with the bike battery with heavy enough wire to start the bike. Even on an all-day poker run (6 stops, 250 miles total) I had enough juice left that the bike still started at the end of the day.

You can leave your stator connected, even in its current (no pun intended) condition it will still put out SOME juice even if not enough to run the bike... It will slow the demise of whatever battery arrangement you use.

Did you check your rec/reg diodes yet? (as posted on the other forum)
I did not do the test yet. Probably Sunday. Some work came up and that often gets in the way of my doing stuff that I would rather be doing. ;)

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,027 Posts
It took me about 5 partial days in the garage to do my stator. I shot video and posted about 30 minutes on youtube. I didn't record to part when the engine was out of the frame, guess I was just trying to get it done. This is the play list. It will give you an idea of what I went through.

·
Administrator
57,648 Posts
It took me about 5 partial days in the garage to do my stator. I shot video and posted about 30 minutes on youtube. I didn't record to part when the engine was out of the frame, guess I was just trying to get it done. This is the play list. It will give you an idea of what I went through.

Jim,
thanks a lot for those video links.

that helps a newbie immensely just to get a handle on what is going to be involved.

Removes the nervous nellies, and off they go.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,027 Posts
Jim,
thanks a lot for those video links.

that helps a newbie immensely just to get a handle on what is going to be involved.

Removes the nervous nellies, and off they go.
THX John,
last month my YouTube channel celebrated its 10th subscriber :)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts