Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi one and all,
I need some opinions and advice. About a year and a half ago I had a situation come up where I had to park my '87 Aspencade with no time to prep for long term storage. It has been parked in my shop since. I did fill the tank, turn off the fuel petcock and place it on the centerstand.
I am now able to start getting it ready to ride again. I replaced a dead Wal-Mart battery and checked all electrical buttons, switches etc and everything works. I checked the oil level and the oil itself. The bike had about 650 miles on a new oil change when it was parked. Everything was good. I will have to bleed the clutch to regain proper function.
My issue is when I tried to start it, it started and ran for about 10 seconds (roughly) and I got a strong gasoline smell. I shut it off, looked down, and the rear carb on the left side was leaking fuel. I made no attempt to restart it since I don't know what is wrong and have no desire to ruin my bike.
I am not a mechanic so if it is anything major, I will have to delay my urge to ride until I can afford to get it repaired.
Any ideas, advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Your float valve(s) have something stuck holding it open and overflowing. shut off the petcock. Check the spark plugs and see if there is a cylinder loaded with gas(NO FLAMES) USE A FLASHLIGHT!
If gas in there, turn kill switch to off and turn over the starter to push out the gas, have a rag over the heads to keep it from flying too far. Put an oil pan under the heads too.
If no gas in cylinders you can fire it up and burn off the gas in the carbs(petcock off). Then open the petcock and tap on the carb bodies with a soft hammer or larger screwdriver handle to dislodge the blockage.
If this doesn't work then the carbs will have to come off and be cleaned.
How long since you replaced the gas filter? Napa 3011 is a good replacement, the body is a little bigger so you might need a longer screw in the holder.
Is your tank clean or rusty?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You will need to drain off the old gas as it has gone bad unless you put in Stabil.
You may have plugged carbs from the gas going bad in the jets, so they will need cleaning.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Ask all you need to know.
Be sure and post how you end up fixing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.