Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me. I just started riding my 87 Aspencade this year. It started out OK, but about 5 weeks ago on a ride it just quit while going down the highway. It started to chug as if it was running out of gas and then died. To make a long story short, it started again about 20 minutes later and ran good for about an hour, until I could get it to my local Honda dealership. They had it for about 2 weeks and replaced the voltage regulator.

It ran fine after that until today. I went to start it (I hadn't been out for almost two weeks) and the battery was low. I jump started it and it started right away. I warmed it up good in the driveway, then set out. It was running fine until I got on the highway and it suddenly started to chug and then died. The bike is back in the shop but the guys there don't really know at this point what the problem is.

I read the article about buying used 1200's and the point about the pickup coil seems to be the exact problem I am having. Can anyone give me a few more details on intermittent problems with the coil? Also, I was wondering if it could be an intermittent problem with the fuel pump.

The service manager at Honda thinks I have two problems - one, electrical because my battery keeps running down (it was a brand new battery just before the first problem) and, two, possibly a fuel probelm. I mentioned the problem I read about in the forum re the pickup coil but he was skeptical about that being the problem. I would als add that these guys were very good to me. Considering the length of time they had the bike in the shop and the work they did to find the problem the final bill was very reasonable.

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Stew.

I hate to start off these things. Just don't have enough knowledge or info. Because it chugs before it dies, I suspect fuel delivery. Could be crap in the tank, petcock, filter, pump or any of the lines. But it could be a plugged vent cap too.

I gotta tell you, I don't trust Honda shops very much. Most of the techs I'vedealt withare criminally stupid. Especially where 4 banger 'Wings are concerned. Many are not as old as the bike they are trying to diagnose.

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

I think it is very likely the fuel pump and also possible but less likely to be the pulse generators. When it does stop running cycle the ignition off and on and listen for the fuel pump, it should make a clicking or soft thumping noise for a couple of seconds every time you cycle the key.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

make sure it is charging properly.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I think the shop should be testing the stator output being that 1200's are known for charging system failure. If they tell you that your stator is weak or dead, there is a conversion available that replaces the charging system with an external one.

Type "Poor boy conversion" in the search bar to read up on it.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
I think the shop should be testing the stator output being that 1200's are known for charging system failure. If they tell you that your stator is weak or dead, there is a conversion available that replaces the charging system with an external one.

Type "Poor boy conversion" in the search bar to read up on it.
++++1 If your stator is going or gone the bike will run until the battery dies. :gunhead:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

You may have a charging issue as one of your problems but that wouldn't make it chug and die. I had the identical problem on my '87 in June on a return trip from Vancouver. The Honda dealer in Missoula MT was very good to me and said he felt it was either an electrical problem (pulse generators, coils, fuel pump or some comb. thereof) or a mechanical one. We addressed the mechanical one right ther and then. New fuel filter, new fuel and some "Heet" to get the water/grunge to pass thru the carbs. 130 miles down the road I was sitting on the side of the road doing my Harley impression. Limped home and changed the pulse generators. Didn't do it again and seemed to idle better, too. I read on this forum, or over on the 1200 forum, I'm not sure which, that one of the pulse generators also sends a signal to the fuel pump relay to make the fuel pump do it's thing. Not sure if that's correct but if it is true then a seemingly faulty fuel pump may be indicative of a blown pulse generator. You can test them with a hair dryer or heat gun. The test procedure is in the manuals, which can be downloaded free at golwingdocs.com. There is also a very good thread discussing the issue here:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1476&forum_id=1&jump_to=13312#p13312

The pulse generators are not hard to change. Inexpensive at around $80. Just take your time and follow instructions. And you DON"T have to remove the timing belts to do it. Helps a lot to remove the rad. Good luck and stay away from the big 18 wheelers until the problem is solved.:shock:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That's interesting. Yesterdayafter it died I did exactly that - I turned the key on and did not hear the 'clicking' noise I usually hearwhen I startup. I will mention that to the shop. When that clicking is not present, does that indicate the fuel pump is not working or the pulse generator is blown?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The stator is the one thing that I am pretty sure is OK. It was tested last time it went in and got a thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I hope you're wrong about the Honda techs; however, I mentioned the Poor Boy conversion for the stator and they looked at me like I had two heads. My problem is that I don't know anything about the bike mechanics and I don't have a place to work on it anyway. I've been thinking that I should ask around and try to find someone who knows these older bikes and would be willing to help me out with it, i.e, help me learn instead of just fixing it for me.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I hope you're wrong about the Honda techs; however, I mentioned the Poor Boy conversion for the stator and they looked at me like I had two heads. My problem is that I don't know anything about the bike mechanics and I don't have a place to work on it anyway. I've been thinking that I should ask around and try to find someone who knows these older bikes and would be willing to help me out with it, i.e, help me learn instead of just fixing it for me.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I'm surprised you've found a Honda shop that'll even TOUCH a GL-1200. Around here, they have a 10-year-old rule, (which nearly eliminates all but the GL-1800).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.