Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1977 gl1000, 1987gl1200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 87 gl1200 that sat about 5 years. Carbs were green inside. Cleaned jets, replaced needle valve and seat, readjusted the float, put back in. Started up right away with some choke. Will idle with half choke, but if I take choke off, it'll stall. Also doesn't want to take throttle either. Just bogs out if I give it throttle. Just looking for suggestions, and this is the best place I know to get help. Great forum

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Have an 87 gl1200 that sat about 5 years. Carbs were green inside. Cleaned jets, replaced needle valve and seat, readjusted the float, put back in. Started up right away with some choke. Will idle with half choke, but if I take choke off, it'll stall. Also doesn't want to take throttle either. Just bogs out if I give it throttle. Just looking for suggestions, and this is the best place I know to get help. Great forum
I bet one of two things are wrong. Did you invert the carbs and set float height? If so that is not right and could be your issue.
More likely is the low speed passages are plugged from sitting. They are so tiny that once plugged it is very difficult to get them open again. If you look in the carbs just below the throttle plate you will see several tiny little passages on the floor of the carburetor bore. They are way smaller than a needle and they plug up so tight that the only way to get them cleaned out sometimes is with a tiny wire. Like a wire cut off a wire brush etc. If they are not open the bike will act exactly as you describe. Kicks, bucks and backfires when you feed it throttle. Adding choke makes it much better.

·
Registered
1977 gl1000, 1987gl1200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do recall those tiny holes, I didn't mess with them other than to spray carb cleaner. Pretty sure the floats are good. Used the advise I got from you and dave0430 in an earlier discussion, passed bench test. Do I need to do a more extensive clean job. I didn't remove carbs from air box, just cleaned jets, and new needle valve and seat. I put double dose of sea foam hoping might keep getting better. It has, but only a bit

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Some times Seafoam will eventually get through the plugs. Your guess is as good as mine. If the float level is good and it acts as I explained in an earlier post it is either a vacuum leak (not as likely as the carbs were green) or the carbs are not clean enough. Many suffer through your situation when bikes sit for long periods of time.

·
Registered
1977 gl1000, 1987gl1200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess I'll give the seafoam a chance to work, if not, out they come for an extensive cleaning. Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it. I can muddle my way through most things but I know carbs are kind of finicky and the knowledge one can get from this forum is priceless. Thank you

·
Registered
66 Posts
What you describe is classic plugged slow jets....won't run without the choke and dies when trying to advance the throttle. Just replace them, trying to clean them is often futile and you end up pulling the carbs again. Rather than take that chance just order new ones and be done with it....and adjust the floats as suggested.

·
Registered
1977 gl1000, 1987gl1200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New oem jets on the way. When I was removing carbs I noticed vacume line were not connected correctly. The one going to #4 intake tube was not connected at all. The one going from #4 carb to T fitting near ignition module, was connected from #4 carb to #4 intake tube. Nothing connected to the T fitting. Could this have attributed to my woes

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
New oem jets on the way. When I was removing carbs I noticed vacume line were not connected correctly. The one going to #4 intake tube was not connected at all. The one going from #4 carb to T fitting near ignition module, was connected from #4 carb to #4 intake tube. Nothing connected to the T fitting. Could this have attributed to my woes
It is hard to say how much difference it would make but it can't be good, Here is a link that has a pretty good discussion of what goes where. Read it carefully all the way through as there were some posts that were incorrect but corrected farther down the thread. Read it carefully all the way to the bottom.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,043 Posts
When you get the carbs out, use compressed air to blow out the all the internal carburetor passageways.This is an important step.
It is hard to say how much difference it would make but it can't be good, Here is a link that has a pretty good discussion of what goes where. Read it carefully all the way through as there were some posts that were incorrect but corrected farther down the thread. Read it carefully all the way to the bottom.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I sharpen the carb cleaner straw with a grinder so it fits tightly in the jets. then spray through the passages to actually see fluid coming out of the idle ports by the throttle plates. Use safety glasses

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1977 gl1000, 1987gl1200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like that idea sprocket. Was wondering how to make sure they were clear. I poked them with a wire, but it only went in about 1/8 inch or so. Is that normal? I blew air though carb but that should definitely tell me if they're clear. Thanks. Love this forum

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I sharpen the carb cleaner straw with a grinder so it fits tightly in the jets. then spray through the passages to actually see fluid coming out of the idle ports by the throttle plates. Use safety glasses

I'm surprised the cleaner did not just come out the air bleed? Did you cover the air bleed with a finger etc?

·
Registered
92 Posts
That was 30 years ago when I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer. I don't remember everything, but stuff pops up and I comment. I remember sometimes squirting cleaner in and then follow with compressed air, too.

·
Registered
1977 gl1000, 1987gl1200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I did a thorough cleaning, new jets, needle and seat, put it in and dam thing runs great. Idles as it should, takes throttle has it should. Need to get it synchronized. But is running pretty decent. Idles well also. At first had a little gas leaking,. I think around the bowl. Run gas out of the bowl and started again, leak magically disappeared. I'll keep a close eye on it. Maybe needle valve stuck open. We'll see. On to the next project, has bad exhaust leak. Thanks for the help all

·
Registered
1977 gl1000, 1987gl1200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, leak is back, pretty sure it's the bowl gasket. Must have slipped out of groove when putting on. I was anxious to put together and didn't do a bench test. Won't make that mistake again. Learning the hard way I guess

1 - 19 of 19 Posts