Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share an experience. I was riding my 87 Aspencade yesterday. We rode up to Mt Rainier here in Washington state. When it came time to leave I had to crank the starter before it fired, it normally doesn't go a full revolution. Then on the way down the engine just shut down. I flipped the kill switch, nothing, then I reached up and turned the ignition off and back on. It fired up and we were riding again. a little later it shut down again, I did the ignition switch thing and it didn't help, I will add that we were coming down off the mountain so it was in gear all the time. It suddenly fired again. It did this about 3 times and then was running fine. I rode until we stopped to eat. When I parked it I opened the tank cover and checked all connections, with the engine running, nothing, wiggled all the wiring I could get hold of, moved the handlebars nothing. We ate and left, went about 12 miles and ir shut down for about 100 feet before I could stop it fired up again went about 3 miles and shut down. This time it stayed off until I could stop. I pushed the starter button nothing. Finally, something to check. I thought the first thing will be the safety switches and since the only thing I was using while all this was going on was the clutch. I pulled back the rubber cover and sure enough one of the wires was falling off the clutch switch I tightened it and slipped it back on, the engine cranked and we rode the rest of the trip without a hitch

·
Registered
118 Posts
There may have been a ignition switch recall back in the day on those bikes I vaguely remember something like that

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a problem with my old 86, I was pulling a trailer through KY. suddenly it died and I could restart it but it died again a little ways down the road. Eventually, it would no longer start. I pulled the side cover off and the wires to the starter relay had melted. Fortunately, I had pulled into a Auto Zone and went in and bought some connectors and put them on the wires, after peeling back all the melted casings and connect them backup and I was good to go. It was still running that way for when I sold it about 50,000 miles later

1 - 6 of 6 Posts