Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 gl 1200i with 125,000 on her and she runs great. The issue I'm having in the previous owner had at some point hit a deer and the radio was pretty much destroyed. The rest of the bike was rebuilt and runs great. He replaced the stock radio with a aftermarket German CD player. My problem is the mount job looks horrible and I have seen some real nice mount kits from cars that look pretty good. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the ask for or any ideas on how to mount it. I have a new cover for the stereo hole that looks good but now I'm looking for a stereo mounting kit that looks good and brings the radio out a little bit. Because as you know the mounting hole is to shallow to mount a stereo directly in the hole.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Your going to need to put up pic's of what your dealing with if you want a good result for answers.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Your going to need to put up pic's of what your dealing with if you want a good result for answers.

Kurt
What Kurt said.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
The problems people encounter installing a radio are 3 fold.
1. No proper mounting system is available.
2. No radios that really were made for the environment.
3. There just aint no room back there for a din-sized radio.
Those three problems make a quality mount job very hard work.

This install required removal of the better part of my dash bracing structure. The radio box is solidly mounted as a stressed member to make up for the loss of framework.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to post a pic of my current radio now and you can see what I'm referring to but it may have to wait till I get home as I am writing this on my "smart" phone at work .:wtf:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Here is what I am working with
That's a thing of beauty compared to what a previous owner did with mine.
Note the wood screws holding it all on and the drywall screws retaining the custom weather cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Sorry but that's pretty bad. It can be done right. You can get a mounting attachment for the bike and a nice stereo from Best Buy or a place like that. I can email you a picture from my phone if you want to pm me. It looks right and I have around $150 in the whole thing. Paul

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
Sorry but that's pretty bad. It can be done right. You can get a mounting attachment for the bike and a nice stereo from Best Buy or a place like that. I can email you a picture from my phone if you want to pm me. It looks right and I have around $150 in the whole thing. Paul
Post a pic here, Paul. We'd all like to see what you've done.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I'll try to get a picture and post it. Maybe I can remember where I bought the radio mount to make sure you can still get them. I also measured the stereo depth to make sure there was room so I'll give you the exact model I bought. It sticks out of the dash some but you still have room to turn the bars ok. It also came with remote so I made a bracket just below the horn button on the left side to hold that. I mainly use it for the volume control going down the road. It has a detachable face too. Paul

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Ok, I hope I got this attached but you can get the radio bezel from Goldwingchrome.com, part number IRC871 for $34.11 made by Add On Accessories. (price went up since I bought mine). I had to cut off the tabs where the knobs would come through because my stereo is digital and perfectly fits in the entire face of the mount. You also need to cut the tab on the right side of the dash opening because the stereo will be in the center of the dash and not to the left side. I'll get more info later. Paul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Good point Wayne. I had to file the top corners to blend in with the dash. It's not hard to do. My fairing was off when I installed the stereo so made things a lot easier. The center part of the dash comes clear out and I also made a bracket to hold up the stereo in the back. It also helps stability of the fairing and the stereo won't flop around at all.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
The image on our site is of my new at the time 87 Interstate. I always removed the Type 3 radio inner support on the right side by using tin snips and twisting it off. It has no use in support and allows for most any radio to be used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.