Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have an 87 gl1200 with a bad stator. I am trying to do the job myself, but am up against a wall.

Clymers says that there is a lock nut on the output shaft that needs to be removed. I don't see anything that looks like a lock nut. There only appears to be an oil seal that is holding it back.

Should I use a puller to get the case off? Or am I completely not seeing something?

Thanks

:gunhead:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

I did mine last year once all the bolts were undone and the drive gear removed from behind the side panal i used a block of wood and a hammer to tap and release the rear casing worked fine for me. hope this helps. there was no locking bolt on my 1200 gl interstate 1987 either . hope this helps

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Clymer manuals have been known to be wrong sometimes.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
The Honda manual is perfect. Right? :cooldevil:

Anyway, welcome WB,

The output shaft is different on the '87 motor.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Did your's look like the picture I attached? And what gear and side panel? Sorry I have so many questions, I have a history of breaking a lot of things I wanted to fix. :gunhead:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I did the stator job on an 87 and it looked like yours, so did the one I pulled from an 85. Once all the bolts are out, a block of wood and a hammer will break the gasket seal.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

My case is loose, but it appears to be hanging up on the oil seal! Was yours hanging on the oil seal too?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
The Honda manual is perfect. Right? :cooldevil:

Anyway, welcome WB,

The output shaft is different on the '87 motor.
That's why I have copies of all 3 of them, the Honda, Clymer and Haynes. You can find mistakes in all of them, just not the same ones each time. :waving::waving::action::action:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

Hey guys, this is as much a question, as a suggestion.

Is it possible that spring clamp can be holding things together?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

The casing should come off once you clear the dowel pins. Seal will come with the case. Sometimes may be tight on the out put shaft, Tripple check all the bolts are removed. The old block of wood and soft hammer still applies. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

There is a final drive gear cover just behind and below the fuel pump. Take the cover off and you will see a bolt on each side of the final drive gear spline. Put something under the gear when you take the bolts out so they don't drop. The rear cover will slide right off with the gear in it. You'll break the rear cover if you don't do this. I think there was a design change on this sometime during the 87 model build. These are different than the other 1200's. Installing is easy, just make sure the bolt holes line up on the gear spline, you'll see what I'm talking about when you get there.Put in a new slave cylinder kit while you're at it. Paul

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Hey guys, this is as much a question, as a suggestion.

Is it possible that spring clamp can be holding things together?
That spring that you can see is the retainer for the rubber boot between the output and the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I believe I have the answer. Arrgh...bought special honda tools. Should be easy now...Ya Right.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.