Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start up my 1200, usually on a cold engine, I get an intermittent noise in the front of the engine that I can best describe as a growl that lasts for 1 or 2 seconds off and on. Not real loud but I can hear it sitting on the bike. I can't tell if it's coming from the water pump or timing belt area but seems like it's low on the engine. I don't notice the noise after the bike warms up. Could it be the water pump bearing going out? The bike has 52,330 original miles. Anyone had this noise in he bottom front of the engine? I know it's not a good description.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
try removing the cam belt covers (without removing the radiator...difficult but it can be done) and do the crank up when cold. If it is a cam belt idler pulley it should be easy to hear

I have not seen a water pump bearing failure on ANY Goldwing ...it may happen but it is rare
Other possible causes of "growl"
- lifter sticking
- crank bearing failure
- exhaust leak

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might try pulling the timing covers (I've done it without removing the radiator). It might be the belt tension pulley. It sounds like a "dry bearing" type sound. The water pump does not leak and seems to work ok (so far). Any tips on replacement pulleys? I've seen them for $74 each the other day but might be a better way? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.