Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This weekend while out riding I heard a scraping sound, pulled over and found a black metal cylinder about 6" long and 4" round hanging by 2 small hoses. Since I was 100 miles from home I yanked it off and bike runs fine. Looking at the Clymer Manual not much to say about it besides calling it a "Charcoal Canister" and how to remove it for replacement.I found it attached on one end by two small hoses a 3/8" and 1/8"and on the opposite end same two hose fittings but not attached. Can someone give me a heads up on this thing? Needed not needed, is it smog for CA requirements?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Problem is by the time I figured the sound was coming from me, it had scraped a hole through the canister, see attached photo.

Attachments

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

if you decide to leave it off & not replace it, make sure that the hoses that went into it can vent somewhere. Dont pinch them closed, Just aim them down in the frame like your battery vent tube.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

The small hose will have vacuum at some time and should be plugged but the other one should be left to vent. I doubt they would check for that if you have to have an emission test.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

All,

"Roger That" I would like to leave it off, found the canister at Bike Bandit for $203.00 ouch! There is evidently 2 small 1/8" vacuum lines one at each end so I'll try sealing those off as suggested and leave the 2 - 3/8" lines to vent.
(Any further input would be appreciated)

Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Recently, I was toldby a smog shop in Modesto, CAthat in 2010 diesels and motorcycles will need to have smog checks similar to autos. He didn't have the details as to which method of tests will be performed or what years would be exempt.

When they do start testing you will need that canisterto pass the visual inspection portion, if yours is not on the exempt list.

I would check the salvage yards for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Lil Pete,

Thanks, anyone have any good links on GW Salvage yards?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

there is a for sale section on this web site. You can also look for a link that Rudy might have on this site. Lots of guys parting out older wings or wings that have crashed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.