Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88' 1500 that started to leak about 6 months ago. It's like colored sticky water. Seems too loose to be oil, and it has no smell, so I doubt it's fuel. It leaks directly under the engine toward the rear. My excellent local Fort Worth, TX mechanic has had the bike almost completely torn down and could find nothing.
Any ideas? Here's a pic and link to a video.

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
What color coolant do you have in it? Could be condensation from the air cleaner drain, doesn't look like brake fluid which was my first thought, from the clutch slave cylinder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll keep a close eye on the coolant level to see if it's loosing volume. The mechanic checked the clutch line and brake lines and couldn't find any leaks. He did say the air box was a bit of a mess and replaced the filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question: When I check the coolant level, should I do this when the bike is warmed up after a ride, or before when the engine is cool. Also, should I put it on the center stand to check the coolant level?

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
Question: When I check the coolant level, should I do this when the bike is warmed up after a ride, or before when the engine is cool. Also, should I put it on the center stand to check the coolant level?
Check it cold and it doesn't matter side or center stand. But, if it has a leak it could still have plenty in the reservoir but be low in the radiator.

Reactions: WingRider101+

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check it cold and it doesn't matter side or center stand. But, if it has a leak it could still have plenty in the reservoir but be low in the radiator.
Understood. I guess the next thing to do is find out exactly what the fluid is. Coolant seems to be the consensus here.
Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,955 Posts
Have you checked the capped drain tubes down by the alternator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you checked the capped drain tubes down by the alternator.
I'll have a look for those drain tubes.
I'm going to take some of the liquid down the street to a mechanic. Maybe he
can tell me exactly what it is. The only person who will work on my bike is an hour away.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,025 Posts
The capped drain tubes are behind the Left side engine cover shown here on my bike.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fluid

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
390 Posts
I have an 88' 1500 that started to leak about 6 months ago. It's like colored sticky water. Seems too loose to be oil, and it has no smell, so I doubt it's fuel. It leaks directly under the engine toward the rear. My excellent local Fort Worth, TX mechanic has had the bike almost completely torn down and could find nothing.
Any ideas? Here's a pic and link to a video.
Looks like Dex Cool coolant. It is orange in color. If it is leaking in the area you are showing, it may be leaking from the right head.
I do not think Dex Cool is a recommended coolant for our Gold Wings.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The more I think about it, I am now suspecting the water pump leaking to be your problem. The water pump I replaced on my last 1500 had a flange of some sort covering up the weep hole so you could not visually check the weep hole. Water pumps are spendy. Biggest problem I saw was making sure impeller on water pump is aligned, and engaged with driven part of engine. Do not tighten bolts on new water pump till they are. Damage will result if not lined up. You will have to be careful removing old bolts holding water pump on. At least one of them will be seized. 2 different lengths of bolts are used. Get right water pump for your year of Gold Wing.
gumbyredd

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more I think about it, I am now suspecting the water pump leaking to be your problem. The water pump I replaced on my last 1500 had a flange of some sort covering up the weep hole so you could not visually check the weep hole. Water pumps are spendy. Biggest problem I saw was making sure impeller on water pump is aligned, and engaged with driven part of engine. Do not tighten bolts on new water pump till they are. Damage will result if not lined up. You will have to be careful removing old bolts holding water pump on. At least one of them will be seized. 2 different lengths of bolts are used. Get right water pump for your year of Gold Wing.
gumbyredd
Wow. Lots to unpack here. The water pump was one of the first things that failed when I first bought the bike around 15 years ago. Certainly something to check out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like Dex Cool coolant. It is orange in color. If it is leaking in the area you are showing, it may be leaking from the right head.
I do not think Dex Cool is a recommended coolant for our Gold Wings.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to put all these suggestions together and send them to my mechanic.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts