Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 88' 1500 that started to leak about 6 months ago. It's like colored sticky water. Seems too loose to be oil, and it has no smell, so I doubt it's fuel. It leaks directly under the engine toward the rear. My excellent local Fort Worth, TX mechanic has had the bike almost completely torn down and could find nothing.
Any ideas? Here's a pic and link to a video.
I would check the Clutch Slave!

·
Registered
433 Posts
The more I think about it, I am now suspecting the water pump leaking to be your problem. The water pump I replaced on my last 1500 had a flange of some sort covering up the weep hole so you could not visually check the weep hole. Water pumps are spendy. Biggest problem I saw was making sure impeller on water pump is aligned, and engaged with driven part of engine. Do not tighten bolts on new water pump till they are. Damage will result if not lined up. You will have to be careful removing old bolts holding water pump on. At least one of them will be seized. 2 different lengths of bolts are used. Get right water pump for your year of Gold Wing.
gumbyredd
The water pump in at the front of the bike. He said the leak is in the rear. So, I doubt the water pump is the problem. There are a few small coolant hoses on top of the motor. If they leak, the coolant will drip to the back of the motor. But, this fluid is to dark of brown for even Dex Cool unless it is really old.

I am also thinking it is clutch fluid. Old fluid would be that light brown color. Have you kept an eye on the fluid level on the handlebar? You said your mechanic "checked" the clutch master cylinder. Did he pull it off to see if it is leaking inside the cover and out the rear of the motor?

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,024 Posts
rusty water is also that light brown color- and flows easy like that..

·
Honda Guru
2,086 Posts
Was Gold Wing left out in the weather? Possible water in the frame?
I have an 88' 1500 that started to leak about 6 months ago. It's like colored sticky water. Seems too loose to be oil, and it has no smell, so I doubt it's fuel. It leaks directly under the engine toward the rear. My excellent local Fort Worth, TX mechanic has had the bike almost completely torn down and could find nothing.
Any ideas? Here's a pic and link to a video.
My ‘88 had a leak that initially looked like it was coming out on the right lower part of the engine— around the front of the head/cam belt area. Traced it to a plastic coolant line junction that sits directly below the right fan. Look at a parts list— on Water Pipe— #16, joint, 3-way. #19518-MN5-010.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
996 Posts
What color is your engine coolant? Use a soda straw and with your finger over the end of the straw dip some out of the reservoir and compare it with what's dripping....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Was Gold Wing left out in the weather? Possible water in the frame?
I've always had it garaged and it's a weekend warrior. I don't ride in the rain unless I'm caught off guard. Thank you for the suggestion though. The leak is very constant.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My ‘88 had a leak that initially looked like it was coming out on the right lower part of the engine— around the front of the head/cam belt area. Traced it to a plastic coolant line junction that sits directly below the right fan. Look at a parts list— on Water Pipe— #16, joint, 3-way. #19518-MN5-010.
This seems like a good lead here based on the info I have so far. I just got back from a Family holiday trip. I'll dig into it this weekend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What color is your engine coolant? Use a soda straw and with your finger over the end of the straw dip some out of the reservoir and compare it with what's dripping....
I'll do that this weekend. I did check the coolant level and it's fine. It certainly didn't look like the coolant was red'ish
in any way. I'll take a pic and get back to you on this. I'm wondering if coolant is leaking and combining with grease, built up dirt, land god knows what else the liquid color would be on its way to the garage floor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I would check the Clutch Slave!
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Thanks for being patient with me, I'm much better at wrenching on guitars than engines. Got a busy week of travel ahead, but I'll dive back into this on the weekend. You guys rock!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
yep classic drool tube needs to be drained.
My 88' must be different than the F6B in the pics. Here are two pics, there are two drain tubes on the left side and toward the right there's one that appears to be kind of clear. They're on close together like in the linked instructions. None of these tubes seemed to be clogged. Is the clear one pictured here the 'drool tube' on my 88'?
Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades Bumper
Automotive tire Grey Rim Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Looks like Dex Cool coolant. It is orange in color. If it is leaking in the area you are showing, it may be leaking from the right head.
I do not think Dex Cool is a recommended coolant for our Gold Wings.
The coolant is sort of clear. Maybe a bit greenish. Here's a pic with some of the coolant wiped on paper. The red crap leaking must be something else, or it's coolant combined with something else by the time it hits the floor?
Rectangle Wood Automotive exterior Table Floor

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here's a few better pics of where the leak is coming from. This time after my weekend ride the leak appears to be toward the front of the engine mostly on the left side. Maybe more to the left because that's how the bike is leaning.
Hood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas
Hood Automotive tire Grille Tire Trunk
Black Font Automotive tire Tints and shades Rectangle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Light

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
389 Posts
Maybe you need to check what is in the radiator, not just the overflow tank.
The droplet looks like it is coming from the water pump area. But, it can be migrating from just about anywhere.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,444 Posts
It looks like coolant. Liquids can move around under a bike.

There aren't many places coolant can be coming from, but you'll have to be the one to disassemble and locate. It's not something that can be done on a computer.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The apparent viscosity and location indicate coolant. I wasn't kidding when I said taste it. A fraction of a drop isn't going to hurt you and every fluid on a bike has a unique taste. Also, how it feels is a good indicator, once you have experience. One way that helps locate coolant leaks is to pressurize the cooling system to the cap relief pressure. That will expose leaks while the engine stays cool so you can hunt around without getting burned. You can often rent/borrow a pressure tester from some auto parts stores.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts