Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me how much front fork oil goes in them.My book has one reading and at the honda dealer he told me something else.I am going to install progressive fork springs and read that one side takes more than the other.

When i remove the fork caps do i have to loosen the top fork pinch bolt.

Dman

:waving: :cheeky1: :waving:

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi Dman,

I took advice on this from a dealer, 9.4 inches from the top of the fork leg to the oil, he suggested using a large syringe with a bit of pipe fitted to the end, to make the over all length of the syringe 9.4 inches, you then fillthe forks roughly to the level then syphon the excess out using the syringe, worked well for me.

I did loosen the top bolts thinking it made sense to me

Nick

welsh winger

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Dman

Fork oil level should be measured as follows:

After draining the old oil, and while the cap and springs are out.

Fill the legs with the recommended amount of oil,

GL1500 88-92 except I models

Left Leg 325 cc or 10.9 U.S. oz

Right Leg 330 cc or 11.2 U.S. oz

With the sping still out pump the forks a few times then keep them compressedallow oil to settle then measure level. Should be 9.4" from the top.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guy's.

I am going to do it tonight.

dman :clapper: :clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I often wondered what the extra oil in one side was for, it's for the anti-dive.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

O-K All

I changed the front oil as you guy's stated. All went fine and a neighbor was around to help to reinstall the fork caps. I also at the same time changed the fork springs to progressive springs.

NEXT QUESTION IS:

Went i removed the old springs there was only one per side which made me think that they were already changed to progressives. The new progressives that i bought were 1" longer than the ones that i took out. Is it possible that the old one's were wrong or had compressed from use. I just bought the bike last fall and the owner said the he had not bought the bike new and that he had not changed the springs.

Can anyone tell me the length that the new progressives should be.

Dman2 :baffled:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.