Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike starts right up put it in reverse press starter switch bike dies right away. Then a slight surge backwards just enough to notice. Take it out of reverse and it fires right up with a slight delay to reset.
Best guess were to start?
Thx

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Just to be sure, you are saying the engine shuts down when you try to use reverse????

Is the sidestand switch working properly? That is you have driven the bike since this issue ?

Does the neutral light work properly?

Does the reverse light come on when you are in reverse and teady to push the button?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes everything works properly just when I hit reverse it dies and all dash lights go out. Reset the key and it will restart. Doing it a few times and reverse will work sometimes

·
Administrator
25,338 Posts
I'm inclined to think you have a bad or loose battery connection.

·
Administrator
25,338 Posts
Hey Dave how ya been long time no see.
Thx will check it my first thought was the dog bone or relay but all those checked out.
I've been doing OK mostly. Where & how have you been?

·
It aint rocket science
3,854 Posts
I would be snooping around relays 3&8*

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
I have a manual for the '89, or at least '89 is the date on the manual.
if that is good enough, let me know who wants it and I will send it by WeTranser

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Bike starts right up put it in reverse press starter switch bike dies right away. Then a slight surge backwards just enough to notice. Take it out of reverse and it fires right up with a slight delay to reset.
Best guess were to start?
Thx
Does your Fuel and Temperature gauges work...?

If so, no need to snoop around the # 3 and # 8 relays.

If no battery connection issues, check the Red 4-pin plug under the seat (at the front edge of the trunk). It might be loose or disconnected....!!.

·
It aint rocket science
3,854 Posts
Yes everything works properly just when I hit reverse it dies and all dash lights go out. Reset the key and it will restart. Doing it a few times and reverse will work sometimes
If you follow the diagram posted by Erdeniz the reverse/start system uses fuses 2,8,11 and relays 3(main) and 8(ignition/cruise). Since you have an intermittent problem one can reasonably conclude there is not a fuse problem. Relay 3 as the main is usually the one to give trouble and should always be checked for hot/melted terminals while in the neighborhood. If the reverse were tripping the No.8 relay to drop out that would kill the ignition and the bike would stall. Try swapping the 8 relay with one of the ones to the left and see if problem persists.:)
Are you a big user of reverse and when the bike stalls does the CRUISE ON light also go out assuming you leave it pushed on?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found the problem a broken plastic cover on relay. Split at the post to where it thins out to make the cover. Moves just enough not to make contact or moisture not sure evidence of both.
Replaced works fine now.
Thx for your help all
Happy trails

1 - 15 of 15 Posts