Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is this a job for mechanics or ok for novice. It will need the seals replaced and I question if I should put in progresive springs. If taken to dealer what would be the going rate or price, also I need to change belts on it. I changed belts on my 81 1100 and with all the info here it seemed a rather simple job on it.??????

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

You can do it, I resealed my progressive shocks when I had a leak, just follow the manual. I did mine 6 yrs ago.

Belts are easier than on the 1100, no radiator in the way.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

Moderators, Why was this moved ? it sounds like a tech question to me

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

It's a little bit of both. Mostly looks like he is asking for quotes for work performed and whether or not, he should attempt a repair himself.

It could go in either forum, I would think.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I guessI will do the Belts my self then. Still question the Shocks, It looks like it takes specific tools or home made tools.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Does anyone have the numbere that I can call Progressive springs, I rember some one saying you can call them and the are helpful with information. I may try this myself since the 1100 and 1500 needs to be reworked. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

for the shocks, I used a large piece of pipe to drive the seals in. they were very easy to reseal.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Mat say it is not to tough a job I think I'll give it a try when it gets a bit colder I sent an e-mail to progressive to check on prices for new springs. The number on there site is a fax #.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I replaced the shocks on my 1989 GL1500 a couple of years back with Progressive 416'sand have 20,000 miles on them now. They're GREAT!

I got them used and one had a small leak, so I rebuilt them - it is a straight forward process; if you do your own general maintenance ( e.g. Oil changes, radiator, & bleed your brakes, etc.) I'm confident you can handle rebuilding and installing them. I wouldn't even worry about it... just do it. (Iused PVC pipe toremove and reseat the seals; theycome out and go ineasily. You don't need to use anything stronger than PVC Pipe for the job. If you do, just do it gently.)

If you need parts or information from Progressive, the web site is fairly good and worth looking at, but if you feel youdesire more direct contact, give this number a try: 714 523 8700. You'll reach a helpful fellow named Justin @ Ext.807. He helped me get everything I needed sorted out for my 416 Air Shocks and was quite knowledgable about the technical stuff too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.