Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I started taking apart to see if I could change the shifter seal. I put it back together. Can some one give me details on what you must do to change this out. It looks like you need to take the exhaust loose and I know that could create alot of work. Is this so. Someone said it was an easy job but if so I am missing something.

:?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I did one on my previous Wing, an 89 gl1500 right before I sold it to fund a gl1800. Very easy, all I had to remove was the exhaust shield and pry out the seal. I got the information right here on this forum, there are a few topics on the subject already.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

On my 1500, I used a socket/ratchet with long extension to remove the shifter and then pryed the old seal out. I never needed to remove any part of the exhaust.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've changed a couple and one was on a 1500. It's just a matter of removing the shifter lever and picking out the old seal. Be sure to tape over the end of the shifter shaft so the splines don't damage the new seal as you install it. A bit of oil or grease on the new seal and the shaft will give some protection to the new seal's lip. A piece of tubing or plastic pipe of the right diameter will serve as a driver to tap the new seal in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.