Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 88 1500 with the common hesitation problem. I decided to switch carbs after reading some posts in the index. I got 99 carbs that are in good shape, the problem is with the throttle cable bracket. The 88 bracket won't fit on the 99s due to the different position of the bowl vent elbow-- If I hook the cables to the bracket on the 99s-- the cables have too much free play. The bottom cable doesn't seem to be adjustable at the bracket - The upper cable is adjusted all the way back with still too much freeplay. I am not concerned with retaining the cruise cancel micro switch but the distance between the outer cable ends and the throttle drum-- The distance is longer on the 88 carbs. Wonder if any one that has done the swap has a solution???

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi jim i take it you know the trottle ajustment is at the trottle hand grip its self not at the carbs might just get enough there

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Hi Peter - Yes I did adjust at the throttle grip - not enough adjustment to set freeplay

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

How about removeing the spuds on the end of the cables and refitting to suit

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I put '95 carbs on my '88, and had the same problem. There is not enough adjustment, even if you "lengthen" the cables as far as they will go at both ends.

I "cheated" the return cable a bit with a homemade spacer, and still have a little freeplay in the grip at closed throttle.

I checked operation in both directions, and there's not enough slackto cause a jam or hang-up anywhere, andI can still crank 'em closed if I have to- so I'm just living with it.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I may try a spacer in the return cable and see how it works - I can still return to the 88 carbs if I don't modify the cables.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.