Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1988 GL1500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to ask another cruise control question but I have not seen this problem. My 1988 GL1500 cruise works intermittently. When it stops working my AVC also stops working. If I wiggle the speedo cable near the wheel it works for a while just fine. I have no problem with the speedometer.
When it works, all the switches and the vacuum works just fine. I hate to tear the bike apart when I'm not sure where to start.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
What is AVC? The cruise problem may be just a dirty brake light switch.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
963 Posts
Automatic Volume Control on the stereo.

Cruise and AVC both depend on the speed pulses coming from the Hall-effect sensor in the speedometer. Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere around the speedometer.

Reactions: Sniper60

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
I hate to ask another cruise control question but I have not seen this problem. My 1988 GL1500 cruise works intermittently. When it stops working my AVC also stops working. If I wiggle the speedo cable near the wheel it works for a while just fine. I have no problem with the speedometer.
When it works, all the switches and the vacuum works just fine. I hate to tear the bike apart when I'm not sure where to start.
That doesn't make sense, if the speedo continues to work it couldn't have anything to do with the cable connection at the wheel.

·
Registered
1988 GL1500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Cruise and AVC both depend on the speed pulses coming from the Hall-effect sensor in the speedometer. Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere around the speedometer.
That's kind of what I was thinking. That's all in the dash isn't it? The pulses then go to the sensor under the seat, correct?
I have a Clymer manual but I can't find anything about where it goes?

Am I correct that there is nothing on the front wheel end of the speedo cable that would do this? I really didn't want to tear the dash apart but...ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I guess.

P.S. - Hi neighbor, Longmontonian (Longmartian?) here!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well greetings neighbor, I lived in Frogmont in '82-83, now in NW Denver.

Nothing on the wheel would cause this, fault on the wheel would cause the Speedometer to completely quit and read "0". The electronic "Speed" pulses are generated inside the speedometer, then disappear into the wiring harness to show up at the Cruise unit, the stereo and the turn signal auto-cancel too (have you checked this?). I don't think the '88 ECM uses speed pulses, but it might. So if all these are acting up but speedometer still reads the bike speed it's going to be finding a bad connection somewhere in the speed pulse wiring to correct, probably a trip into the instrument panel. Since it's intermittent, it is most certainly a bad connection somewhere.

I got Honda wiring diagrams for a '94, they're good for my '93, but the '88 is a different enough animal that my diagrams will be useless. Maybe someone else here has schematics for an '88.

·
Registered
1999 GL1500SE
281 Posts
Check on Gold Wing Docs, there may be a wiring schematic or thread concerning this.

·
1,819 Posts
If the speedometer cable needs to be lubricated and therefore oscillates at the speedometer, it often causes the speed pilot to become "confused".
PS: this only applies to the first models of GL1500, - they later measure on engine speeds.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,617 Posts
ummmm, you sure about that? the gl1500s speedo gets it info from the Front Wheel.

that did not change until the gl1800s came out, and the speedo drive is on the rear output shaft of the transmission.

·
Registered
1988 GL1500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to but it looks like I need to open the dash. I found a video online that shows how to do that.
I need to fix a light and something is rattling in one of the speakers so I just need to do it before it gets too cold in the garage.
I've had this bike for 25 years. I'm always amazed at how well this bike has held up!

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
1,819 Posts
ummmm, you sure about that? the gl1500s speedo gets it info from the Front Wheel.

that did not change until the gl1800s came out, and the speedo drive is on the rear output shaft of the transmission.
What i ment was , - the speedpilot/cruise control on the later GL1500 gets its input from engine rpm .

·
Registered
963 Posts
The later 1500's cruise controls use BOTH the speedometer and tach pulses...

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
The later 1500's cruise controls use BOTH the speedometer and tach pulses...
They all do, just use them differently. They all still need both signals.

·
1,819 Posts
Many years ago i had my 1996 SE GL1500 on a dyno , and the cruise worked(at least for a short time) when it was there , - as far as i remember .

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
For what it is worth, the cruise on my 1988 GL 1500 was working intermittently too. I replaced the hand brake/cruise cancel switch to cure the problem. It is easy to replace and might cure your problem too.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts

The sensor indicated is inside the speedometer so you would have to replace the speedometer to fix the issue if that is the only thing wrong. There are a lot of things that can affect the cruise control.

·
Registered
'96 GL1500A
4 Posts
My New to me 96GL1500A C.C. Had some issues working. I sprayed some WD40 in the C.C. switches and worked the buttons then used compressed air can to blowout any lossened debris and that got it working. Then it stopped working again or so I thought until I realized the set button when depressed in and pushed up (which I thought was how to operate it was stuck.) Do not push it up but if you had your 88 for 25 years I guess you know this. Worth checking anyway as you might have pushed it up unknowingly. This winter I am going to take the buttons apart and clean with contact cleaner. Sounds like your issue is different as I didn't notice a corralation to the AVC. My 2cents

1 - 19 of 19 Posts