Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

To all the good people out there in Goldwing world , Please help if you can .

On the '88 GL1500 I have six (6) drive rubbers behind the axle spline .

my questions are as follows :

1/ How often do they need to be replaced as mine look very good .

2/ If they need replacing then where can I locate some (I have tried Ebay ) as here in Australia I am being told they are no longer made by Honda .

If someone has an after market part number from a supplier that I could chase that would greatly appreciated.

Kaos

Previous Bikes :

GL1200 Aspy

CB750FA

CB750K3

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Many have purchased a newer wheel & drive spline from a triked bike, as well as the newer brake rotor and caliper mount as the new rotor is larger, only 5 pins instead of 6 like yours. The rubbers for the newer years, 90-2000, are still available. 88-89 are the only 2 discontinued ones.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

newday777 , thanks for the quick reply but I don't have the extra money at the moment to buy a replacement later model wheel and extras .I will waitto see if there any more repliesand then decide whether I will regrettfully "Part" the bike outor try to get the extra money from somewhere to do as you suggest.

Kaos

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

You say the rubbers look very good so just put the wheel back on and ride it.

If the next time you change tyres they look worn that's the time to make decisions but not now.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ken , I like you train of thought , that's what I have been doing for a while now but I need to pull my drive shaft to check for wear and lubricate as required and also re-build the calipers , so I thought I would replace these at the same time (haven't been replaced for over 60k mile) so I could spend more time enjoying theride instead of watching others enjoy themselves .

Kaos

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it.".:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

agreed , butsometimesthe squealing and clunking noises that happen need to be looked at before they leave you high and dry on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere wishing you had just replaced that little item when you had the chance .

Kaos

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Kaos wrote:
agreed , butsometimesthe squealing and clunking noises that happen need to be looked at before they leave you high and dry on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere wishing you had just replaced that little item when you had the chance .

Kaos
Could you give us more information on the squealing and clunking noises?:?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Kaos, my 89 wing had a clunking noise when ever I changed gears & let the clutch out, turned out to be the spline rubbers, I searched every where but could not find them ( I know that doesnt help you) but I got a complete back end of a friend who triked his 96 wing, swing arm, diff, shaft brakes & wheel. Cost a bit, but made a big difference. There is a bloke in Gunnedah NSW called Big **** who imports 2nd hand wings & parts, he might be able to help you, if get onto the local chapter of the Australian Goldwing Association through their website they should be able to give you his details.
Regards & good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

WR63: Do you know what the difference is between the 88/87 and the later swing arm?

I have read on this board that the rear wheel, drive flange, and dust shield on the final drive are the only parts NEEDED for a swap to a later wheel on the 88/89. I have read here that the rotors can be swapped.

Bill

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

WR63 , I already have big ***** number so I will give him a call on the parts . also , the squealing and clunking is coming from the drive shaft (pulling that this weekend) so I will see if it is just dryness or whether it is actual damage. Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The first couple years of the 1500 had the six pin flanges without replaceable isolator rubbers. From '90 on they use thefive pin flanges. Replaceable isolator rubbers and aluminum blocks came with the five pin flanges in the later models. The six pin flanges call for lubrication on the pins where they go into the flange bushings. On the five pin flanges there's no lubrication where the steel pins go into the aluminum blocks.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Exavid , thanks for info , I will have another look at these items and if it only requires Lubrication as you have stated then half my battle is already won. Kaos

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

That was good to know exavid. I need to pull my 88 apart and grease everything. I think I like the ability to lube them!:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.