Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm having a hard time getting my front fork caps off. The hex head that Honda supplies is slightly stripped and I think I need a 16mm hex head/ allen wrench plus an extension to get enough tork to loosen the caps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

The hex wrench is a 17mm… I've bought one for my 88 forks. But if it's stripped you might use a chisel and tap the upper flat part to loosen it. Just be careful you don't go overboard with the chisel.

I swapped mine out with the newer 'air cap' version. I might still have the old ones in my tool box.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey Ray, thanks! the wrench is stripped, thank God, the caps are still in good shape! Where did you get the 17mm hex head?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

They are 17mm. Loosen the pinch bolts under the fork caps on each side, spray around the caps with a good penetrating oil and then try it again.

I had to fashion my own tool out of a 17mm bolt, a lock washer and a couple of nuts with a tack of weld across the nuts/bolt and then use a deep 17mm socket and a breaker bar for one of my caps.

Be careful though, as they are under a lot of spring pressure! :shock:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I just purchased one . just at $19.00 from an auto parts store . It seems to be a common wrench for something on a 4x4 Dodge as the counterman asked about my Dodge truck :ROFL:.Check this link to an inexpensive allen wrench :17 mm DIN ALLEN WRENCH 911750 Cr - V4 | eBayHere is a photo of the spring compressorI just built .

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Nice job!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks guys, 17mm allen socket from Sears and a 3' iron pipe as an extension and the cap came off fairly easily! Gonna be a bear to get 'em back on!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Nice homemade fork spring tool, Mike! :claps:

Can you describe the materials/build for us?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey Ken, Ray, Prayer or Newday, thanks for the help. When I refill the forks, can I measure new fluid with the forks still on the bike, springs out, fully compressed (bike on center stand)?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yes if you have the right tools to put the caps on.
You have the front end held up I hope with a jack, if not, Get it up off it's knees!
The forks need to be open/extended. Amount of oil depends on which springs you have, stock or Progressive? Measure with a baby bottle for cc/oz amount.
How are you going to put the caps back on if they are Progressive springs?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Mark,/Stu, they trouble with doing it that way (amount of fluid) is that you very seldom end up with equal amounts of fluid in each tube. Each tube requires a different amount of oil. The right tube has the anti dive unit, that fluid circulates through. You can never drain out all the old oil, so you end up with the incorrect amount of oil in the tubes.

Like I suggested to you via PM, do the fork cap mod and future fork oil changes (minimum ofevery two years), or experimenting with different fluid weights/levels, will be much easier/quicker, as youwill not need to remove the fork caps (and all the hassle that entails)to change the oil. :?

Dusty

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

OK, thanks, guys. And Ken, how about if I do it this way- first I need to get front brake pads back on, particularly since i'm gonna need to really lean on the forks as part of the adding fluid process. Second, gonna put some Progressive springs in and will cap with those other caps in the link you sent me. (will have to buy those as I don't have the skill/ tools to fabricate) Third, I'll fill using your "baster method!" It just dawned on me (duh!! :) ) that the inserted tube- cut to the right length- will remove any overfill when baster is squeezed, hence no need to look inside the tube!! let me know what you think. thanks!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Now you're catching on, Grasshopper!

Reread all the info I PMed you, concerning the way you fill/adjust the fluid amount in the forks, plus the other link I sent you with regards of how you 'measure' the correct amount, so it's clear. It's a fair bit to read/comprehend the 1st time out. Remember, when you insert that 'tool' for adding/subtracting the fork oil through the hole in the fork capswith the springs in the bike, the forktubes must be fully extended! (jack up the front of the bike, under the engine)

You might want to place an add in the Wanted/For Sale Forum here, for the fork caps. Someone may have some that they don't need. ... or ... someone may be willing to drill/tap your fork caps for you. Either one would be a lot less expensive than buying them new! :baffling:

Have a Happy New Years!

Dusty

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Hey Mark…

Glad there's been a lot of activity and helpful hints here. To answer you're 2nd question about where I got my 17mm allen wrench…. Well it's sort of a mute point now since there's a ton of cheaper and easier DIY methods but I got mine from Snap On. I was in the dealer level and it was a lot easier to have them (the tool truck) come to me. So I paid the price. Granted that price was expensive but there is a quality difference and for those of us that used the tools every day rather than once a year the quality difference was worth the price.
For the average DIY'er the Craftsman tools are more than adequate.
The manual has the fork oil level as 9.4" with the springs removed; the forks compressed. There are other methods.
Happy New Year!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.