Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am a new owner of a '88 GL1500 . I occasionally notice some significant movement of the front after just touching the front brake lever. I assume it has something to do with the anti-dive mechanism. Typical example is just after starting the engine; touch the front brake and the front end settles noticably.

Could someone out there explain how the anti-dive is supposed to work. I'd also be interested in description of common failure mode(s), if any. thanks Mark in MN

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Mine does kind of the same thing, but only if it's resting kind of high, like when I stop and kind of roll back a little. Then tap the front brakes it'll sometimes drop back to normal height.

I just attribute this to spring preload with Progressive Springs being a little high and maybe a little too muck fork seal stichion.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Mark, the AD on the gl1500 is literally unbustable. If you are getting dive then it's more likely to be the forks are low on oil.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

When the AD fails, it fails in the "ON" position and the forks get too hard, so I'm with Budegan on this one and suggest changing the fork oil.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sometimes when you stop and get off the bike the forks don't quite come back up all the way due tosagging springs, when you jostle it a bit it overcomes the friction and come back up. The only real way to check this out would be to pull your springs and measure them. Honda and Clymer manuals both give the minimum length for the springs. I don't have my book handy at the moment but I'm sure someone else can give you the minimum length. A twenty year old bike is likely to have a bit of sag in the springs by now. Progressive springs cost around $70 and are an easy installation. They will improve the handling even if the current springs are okay. The anti dive works hydraulically by limiting oil flow and are controlled by movement of the brake caliper. It slows the compression of the fork when you hit the brakes but doesn't interfer when the wheel hits a bump and the brakes are off.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

First step has to be the fork oil. Its easy to replace and I would do this first. :waving:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.