Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I put this on the site a couple weeks ago. The starter starts the engine just fine but there is a sound coming from the starter sounding like the starter spinning and then the "B" relay (the relay to the rear of the battery) clicks and the starter seems fine. I replaced the relay today and still have the same noise. I am not sure the noise hasn't always been there as I am the original owner and it is something I just noticed in my older years...

·
Administrator
26,138 Posts
imported post

You need to check if there is still power getting to the relay after you release the start button. Could be relay "A" is sticking causing the problem.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. Never thought of that. How do I check that on relay B? Oh yeah I like your description of a motorcyclist!

·
Administrator
26,138 Posts
imported post

A test light would be best. Connect it to ground and put the probe on either of the large terminals and start the engine, the light should light and if it stays lit after you release the button either relay A or the start switch is sticking. If it is put the probe on the yellow/red wire on relay A and try again. If the light is on only when the button is pushed then it is relay A sticking. If it stays on when you release the button then the switch is sticking.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I may have stuck this into your other thread -- the '88 uses the two-post starter (so the starter positive is switched from Solenoid A and the negative pole is switched to ground by solenoid B) -- for those reading along, this was changed in 1990 bikes to have the solenoids work in series to switch the positive side of a single-post starter.

As posted above, the output from solenoid A also provides the control voltage to solenoid B so that Solenoid A hanging would cause BOTH solenoids to appear hung.

Diagnostic test should include removing the 5A inline fuse in that's in the control-coil circuit between "A" and "B" -- My brain fails me here, but I believe thatthis fuse isjust rearward of the battery (ina rubber boot by the negative battery terminal kinda),and the wires leading to the holder are PINK -- if you remove the fuse, it will disablethe signal to SolenoidB; the starter will not spin, but you can listen to "A" to see if it is hanging internally.

If solenoid A hangs, then this could be your noise,

Sadly and most often, solenoids will only hang when there's enough current flowing through them to lightly weld their contacts closed. So, if your solenoid A doesn't hang with the fuse removed, you can re-insert the fuse and watch the voltage at the fuse with a test light -- the light will light when Solenoid "A"'s contacts are closed, and if the light stay on longer than your finger stays on the starter switch... You've found jthat Solenoid "A" is hanging. (this is the same as watching for voltage on the YELLOW withRED stripe wire on Solenoid B).

Here's that two-post starter diagram for '88-'89 bikes again (for reference):

[align=center]

[/align]

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks! Put the probe on the large terminal of which relay? Sorry but I am a little slow sometimes.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey thank you! I appreciale your help. Oh yeah looks like y'all are getting some snow in Colorado.

·
Administrator
26,138 Posts
imported post

Thanks satan, I was not aware of the way the 88 system works, don't have a manual for it. Just working off the top of my head but the same checks still apply.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

My tech did all of your suggested tests and everything passed. I guess the noise is normal. Must be something I just neve paid any attentions to. I appreciate all of y'alls input. We rode Friday and everything was just fine except the wind and gusts in central Florida this time of the year. Beautiful temps except for the darn wind.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Mine has always been like that. Takes a second or two for the starter to stop spinning after the bike starts.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks! The 1988 & 1989 have the same starter system so ours are operating as they should.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.